Pale Moon

Story: Best Linux BrowsersTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 23, 2014
3:23 AM EDT
For my part I have recently discovered a FF cousin called Pale Moon and I am in love. It acts, and more importantly works, like FF used too. It is my browser of choice right now and I do not see myself moving away from it any time soon.

http://www.palemoon.org/
jdixon

Jul 23, 2014
8:47 AM EDT
Likewise Scott. The version for Linux is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm4linux/
CFWhitman

Jul 23, 2014
9:34 AM EDT
I know that when I tried Pale Moon recently I found something about the way it worked that I really didn't like, and I went back to Seamonkey for my alternative Gecko based browser, but I can't remember what it was.
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 23, 2014
6:03 PM EDT
@CFWhitman..

please find out what is was. Reagrdless of my rose coloured glasses I want to know.
cr

Jul 23, 2014
8:38 PM EDT
Trialing it now on the Sparky-TDE machine . I know I'm annoyed that it's incompatible with Tab Mix Plus, but that's not a dealbreaker. Just having the tabs right above the content is a sweet delight, as is a reversion to having a bookmark manager I can actually use, unlike, well... Where is the bookmark manager in the latest Iceweasel? .
Karst

Jul 23, 2014
10:54 PM EDT
I found Pale Moon a week or so ago and it's almost completely supplanted Firefox for me. (Running Bodhi) Oh, and finally got to missing the old pan functions from my Xconfig that I actually read the man page on randir. Panning happily again!
BernardSwiss

Jul 24, 2014
3:23 AM EDT
No Tab Mix Plus?

That always one of the first extensions I grab in a new install. I click on tabs far more often than I make bookmarks.
jdixon

Jul 24, 2014
6:47 AM EDT
> No Tab Mix Plus?

If you enable Firefox compatibility mode, all the extensions I've tried have installed. I think you can even turn it back off afterwards.

Go to about:config and change general.useragent.compatMode.firefox to true to enable it.
cr

Jul 24, 2014
1:45 PM EDT
> Go to about:config and change general.useragent.compatMode.firefox to true to enable it.

No joy. Set to 'true' as found. In about:addons, the warning reads "Tab Mix Plus is incompatible with Pale Moon 24.6.2." Oh, well; I threw in Tab Mix Lite and got some of the convenience back (though it would be nice to be able to clear the tabs list periodically to reclaim the object memory, and in particular just before periodically quitting the browser to reclaim leaked memory so it drops and restarts faster).
jdixon

Jul 24, 2014
2:23 PM EDT
> No joy.

OK, I'm thoroughly confused. I just went into extensions and it loaded with no problems. This is on my work Windows machine (32 bit Windows 7) with Pale Moon 24.6.2. I'll try it on my home Slackware machine tonight.
Koriel

Jul 24, 2014
3:09 PM EDT
Well, I have just loaded up Pale Moon and migrated my Firefox profile over and its excellent all my add-ons work great.

This is my new default browser and I have already removed Firefox entirely.

It also works better with SelekTOR as like Firefox of old it doesn't require a restart to apply proxy pac changes which the newer Firefox's do.

Tested with the following addons Adblock Plus, Adblock Element Hider, Flashvideo Downloader and Speed Dial all functioning correctly.

The UI responsiveness appears to be faster than the current Firefox and page loading speed appears to be about the same.

Pretty much cant fault this browser.
jdixon

Jul 24, 2014
10:29 PM EDT
Well, I'm more confused than ever. I just tried installing Tab Mix Plus on my Slackware box, and it installed and seems to be working with no problems. This is on Pale Moon 24.6.2 x86 with Firefox compatibility disabled. So unless it's a 64bit issue, I have no idea why it isn't working for anyone else.
cr

Jul 24, 2014
11:07 PM EDT
> This is on Pale Moon 24.6.2 x86 with Firefox compatibility disabled.

Maybe I'll try toggling that and see what happens. I thank you for your efforts, anyway.

[Sparky-TDE here: Debian Wheezy, vmlinuz-3.2.0-4-486, with TDE 3.5.13.2. AMD E350-D APU with the open-source drivers.]
jdixon

Jul 24, 2014
11:10 PM EDT
> I thank you for your efforts, anyway.

I was hoping I could help resolve the problem, cr. :( I'm sorry that I'm apparently not able to help.
eldersnake

Jul 29, 2014
12:34 AM EDT
Just trying Pale Moon on my Fedora 20 laptop.

Surprisingly nice! I didn't think it would seem quicker than Firefox but my subjective impression is that it does. I'll keep using it for now and see how I go. Thanks for mentioning it!
CFWhitman

Jul 29, 2014
10:30 AM EDT
@Scott_Ruecker Well, looking back, one thing that jumps out at me right away is that when I middle-click a link to open it in a new tab from any currently open tab, it always opens the new tab at the far right of currently open tabs instead of right next to the tab the link was clicked from. I'm not sure if that was all it was that I didn't like or if there was something more. I investigated, and there is a preference to change this behavior, so I may give it another chance.
jdixon

Jul 29, 2014
11:29 AM EDT
> it always opens the new tab at the far right of currently open tabs instead of right next to the tab the link was clicked from.

That was the original default for Firefox too. I think it was changed somewhere in the 3.x versions to the one your prefer. Personally, I always changed it back to opening on the far right. To each his own.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!