Nice attitude.

Story: Cloud security: We're asking the wrong questionsTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
rnturn

Sep 12, 2014
5:52 PM EDT
"Security doesn't sell solutions -- features and pricing do. Features are cheaper in the cloud."

So is the author's thinking that nobody cares about the security of their information so long as it's stored somewhere that's cheaper? That you must be some sort of Luddite if you're not enthusiastically shoving all your private information onto the cloud? Really? Because "features"? Wow. I'm going to be switching my physician should I find that they're considering abandoned their paper files and putting everything onto the cloud. We should all be thinking long and hard about proposals for using cloud-based storage for any information that covered by HIPAA or any other laws that are in place to protect personal information.

Cloud fanbois are quick to point out that your data WILL be protected -- it's all right there in the contract. Of course, when it's NOT protected, you may not be told about the breach that exposed your data for months (if ever; the breach could be by our own government who's slapped a gag order on the provider) and that you'll have to engage in an obscenely expensive lawsuit against the cloud provider to recover damages. All while you're being sued by your customers for having used a cloud provider who didn't take the security of their data as seriously as their marketing brochure promised. I doubt that claiming "nobody said the cloud was going to be secure" is going to fly in court. Security will become a selling point once some company's use of the cloud results in private information being released and the dust settles after the multi-million dollar lawsuits.

All that said... I still think there's a place for clouds: in your own data center where they can simplify in-house storage. Heck, I'm considering moving to (a small) one at home... depending on the size of the next bonus.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 15, 2014
8:21 AM EDT
I have no problem storing data in the "cloud", so long as that data is encrypted, locally, by me, first.

Find, learn, and use, GnuPG.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!