Yeah, right.

Story: Ten years of Ubuntu: How Linux’s beloved newcomer became its criticized kingTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
jdixon

Oct 23, 2014
11:51 AM EDT
> Today, Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu, estimates that there are 25 million Ubuntu users worldwide. Those users span 240 countries, and they make Ubuntu the world's third most popular PC operating system. By Canonical's estimates, Ubuntu has roughly 90 percent of the Linux market.

OK, I'm willing to grant that Ubuntu may be the most used version of Linux. I even willing to grant that it may have as many as 25 million users (me being one of them, as it's installed on my Dell Mini-9). But 90% of the market?

Let's do the math. If Ubuntu has 25 million users and has 90% of the market, that means the rest of the Linux market consists of less than 3 million users. Since Red Hat alone has more users than that....
DiBosco

Oct 23, 2014
12:41 PM EDT
I think your maths is slightly faulty ;)
Bob_Robertson

Oct 23, 2014
1:01 PM EDT
25M / .9 = 27.7M

27.7M - 25M = 2.7M

If anything, JD was being generous by saying 3M
CFWhitman

Oct 23, 2014
3:51 PM EDT
Well, I'm going to take a wild guess that they are only talking about the Linux desktop market. I'm also going to guess that they are including at least all variations of Ubuntu that use the trademark (i.e., Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, etc.).

Even with these concessions I still have trouble believing their numbers.

Perhaps they used the 'logic' that if it's not an Ubuntu based install, there's only a ten percent chance it's a desktop. ;-)
BernardSwiss

Oct 23, 2014
7:05 PM EDT
Additionally, I suspect that the "*buntu" numbers are inflated by the fact that the main solid data point is the number of (unique ip) hits on the Ubuntu repositories. So Linux Mint, for example, and other 'buntu derivatives that make use of the Ubuntu repositories are going to be counted as "Ubuntu" systems in Canonical's stats.

(I don't recall just where I saw this estimate, so take it with a suitable amount of seasoning salt -- but supposedly, Mint has about 1/5th the number of users that Ubuntu does.
lcafiero

Oct 23, 2014
8:26 PM EDT
"Those users span 240 countries, and they make Ubuntu the world's third most popular PC operating system."

Neat trick, since there are only 196 countries in the world. But then in 240 countries, maybe the number of users is correct. But knowing Canoracle, I doubt it.
jdixon

Oct 23, 2014
8:34 PM EDT
You can find some usage numbers for Fedora, which I believe most people would consider to be a desktop version of Linux, at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics

Short version, 54,944,818 unique IP addresses getting updates for Fedora.
me1010

Oct 23, 2014
9:18 PM EDT
@lcafiero:

I dunno... maybe the author is counting 'unofficial' countries.

http://geography.about.com/cs/countries/a/numbercountries.ht...

**** Recognize that there are dozens of territories and colonies that are sometimes erroneously called "countries" but don't count at all - they're governed by other countries. Places commonly confused as being countries include Puerto Rico, Bermuda, Greenland, Palestine, Western Sahara, and even the components of the United Kingdom (such as Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and England - they're not fully independent countries, states, or nation-states). ****

Perhaps the EU is also counted ;)

EDIT: Looked at the story again. Seems the number of countries is now AWOL.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 24, 2014
9:13 AM EDT
Hmmmm... I wonder how many unique machines are utilizing the Debian "Popularity Contest"?

Huh? 173,000? That's IT?

http://popcon.debian.org/
Bob_Robertson

Oct 24, 2014
9:17 AM EDT
Gee, I was right. Hardly anyone uses dselect but me.
NoDough

Oct 24, 2014
4:55 PM EDT
Cannot believe no one has pointed this out yet.

88.6% of statistics are made up seconds before they are stated.

(Yes. It was.)
BernardSwiss

Oct 24, 2014
6:04 PM EDT
Quoting:Cannot believe no one has pointed this out yet.

88.6% of statistics are made up seconds before they are stated.

And 52.3% of those are within 2 standard deviations of the correct value ;)
Bob_Robertson

Oct 27, 2014
8:53 AM EDT
37.238%, +-.03%, use artificial accuracies to convince the unwary.
hkwint

Oct 28, 2014
5:23 AM EDT
Research showed, statistically speaking, 1 out of 10 people have 9 other people around them.
NoDough

Oct 28, 2014
8:42 AM EDT
hkwint wrote:Research showed, statistically speaking, 1 out of 10 people have 9 other people around them.

Here we are talking hard science and you chime in with BS. Sheesh!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!