Poll - Which Official Ubuntu 15.04 Distro is Best?

Story: Ubuntu 15.04 releasedTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
seatex

Apr 23, 2015
2:27 PM EDT
My personal pick is Xubuntu 15.04. Fast & Productive!

If, and only if, you are installing/running one of the new official Ubuntu 15.04 flavors, please share your pick on this little poll I set up - just for LXers - with comments here, of course.

For those running one of the new official 15.04 ubuntu distros, which is your favorite?
gus3

Apr 23, 2015
3:02 PM EDT
Slackware 14.1.
jdixon

Apr 23, 2015
4:18 PM EDT
"Ubuntu is an ancient African word meaning 'Slackware is too hard for me'." :)
seatex

Apr 23, 2015
4:51 PM EDT
> "Ubuntu is an ancient African word meaning 'Slackware is too hard for me'." :)

No, it's the African word for "I've got better things to do than spend a day setting up an OS for each of my computers and compiling software for them"

;-).
gus3

Apr 23, 2015
5:09 PM EDT
Aaaaaand my work here is done.
the_doctor

Apr 23, 2015
6:04 PM EDT
Well, that didn't take long. :D
jdixon

Apr 23, 2015
7:16 PM EDT
> No, it's the African word for "I've got better things to do than spend a day setting up an OS for each of my computers and compiling software for them"

Someone doesn't know how to use the Slackware install scripts and create custom packages for it. :)

> Aaaaaand my work here is done.

What can I say? Sometimes the worm just looks so good. :)
seatex

Apr 23, 2015
7:44 PM EDT
Well, you know what they say about ASSumptions.
kikinovak

Apr 24, 2015
5:57 AM EDT
> "No, it's the African word for "I've got better things to do than spend a day setting up an OS for each of my computers and compiling software for them"

If you don't want to build additional stuff for your Slackware desktop, just use this:

http://www.microlinux.fr/mled.php
CFWhitman

Apr 24, 2015
8:54 AM EDT
Well, I do use Ubuntu based distributions quite a bit. However, I have Salix Fluxbox on an ancient Thinkpad R31 (from 2003 I'd guess) with Intel video, and it actually runs reasonably well. I can play YouTube videos with smtube set to 480 as a max resolution. When it had only 256 MB of RAM quite a few Web sites would crash the browser, but after I upped it to 1 GB that got much better.

I used to use Slackware for everything, but I admit that the huge Debian and Ubuntu repositories have made me a bit lazy. I generally have something running Slackware still, though. If you do need to compile something then Slackware is the most reliable distribution to do it on in my experience because everything about it is so standard.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!