That brings back memories

Story: World finally ready for USB-bootable OS/2Total Replies: 3
Author Content
the_doctor

Sep 14, 2015
6:29 PM EDT
OS/2 Warp on The Computer Chronicles

Like loading Windows 3.11 in VirtualBox, it's fun to see but not very useful.

penguinist

Sep 14, 2015
7:40 PM EDT
Thank you SO much for this piece of nostalgia, 25 minutes well spent. I was an OS/2 user before discovering Linux and this video report brings back a lot of memories for me. I remember trying Windows back then and wondering why people could possibly choose Windows over OS/2 if they really knew the capability differences. Microsoft did not win on the merits of its product, they won through exerting mind control over their customers.

I've recently set up my notebook with an "all distro" 6-way Linux multi-boot, but now I'm thinking that I should add an OS/2 partition just for old-time's sake.
Ridcully

Sep 15, 2015
5:47 AM EDT
Can I support your comment please Penguinist ? I first saw OS/2 Warp at the Brisbane Museum where it was being used by the arachnid team, circa 1995-2000 if memory serves me.....I watched in amazement as it walked all over what Windows could do...multi-tasking, etc. The real problem, as I recall, is that it did not have the developers involved, and so application software was lacking........Such a rotten pity. It would have been very interesting to see what might have happened if OS/2Warp had really taken off.
gus3

Sep 16, 2015
11:38 AM EDT
If I may...

The problem with OS/2 was precisely that it could run Windows 3.11 applications, unmodified. Granted, it could run them better (on a more stable platform) than Windows. But from the developers' POV, why write OS/2 apps that could run on OS/2 only, when they could write Windows apps that could run on OS/2 and Windows?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!