But 7.6.0 only as DVD

Story: KNOPPIX 7.6.0 Live Linux OS Officially Released, Features Popular 3D ProgramsTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
flufferbeer

Nov 25, 2015
11:21 AM EDT
No CD versions of Knoppix 7.6.0 currently available ... that's right! You'd have to go back to version 7.2.0 to find the last commonly available KnoppixCD.

With all those featuritis things Nestor writes in his article, it's only near the end of it where you'd find out that Knoppix 7.6.0 is ONLY distributed as a choice of two Live DVD ISO images. Seems to me that this just leaves the Distrowatch-popular Puppy linux, PCLinuxOS, antiX, Porteus, SLAX, various Debian LiveCDs, and several other active distros as the remaining liveCD-designates actually still available in CD format.
gary_newell

Nov 25, 2015
3:28 PM EDT
I think SLAX is dead as well.
penguinist

Nov 25, 2015
4:40 PM EDT
It looks like the CD is quickly going the way of the floppy disk.

Now that we can buy an 8GB USB stick for $3 who wants to mess with CDs. They will still be needed for legacy systems for a while just like floppy disks lived on for a while but soon they will rest in peace. We should all keep one, though, for nostalgia sake. It would be fun to frame a CD and a floppy disk and hang them on the wall for grandchildren to see.

cybertao

Nov 25, 2015
5:16 PM EDT
I have some CDs for use with the car stereo, otherwise there is no use for them. Even on the occasion I need to burn a CD image I write it to a DVD. My machines that didn't boot from USB and only have an IDE CD-ROM (I probably have a spare IDE DVD-ROM *somewhere* in the garage) are long dead, or better replaced with something more power and space efficient anyway.
notbob

Nov 25, 2015
5:45 PM EDT
> there is no use for them.

Excuse me!

Not everyone goes out and purchases the latest/greatest hardware being pushed by the major corporations jes cuz they say we should. My 2001 P4 --w/o a bootable DVD-- works jes fine, thank you.

I notice flufferbeer correctly includes "currently" in his initial statement. I've also noticed, in the past, Knoppix is a bit slow on releasing their new stuff. Perhaps they will come through with a CD version, eventually. Regardless, I've got the older Live CD release of Knoppix. I use it when checking out older re-cycled boxes. For a real desktop OS, I use Slackware, which also releases their latest version (14.1) on CDs.

cybertao

Nov 25, 2015
6:02 PM EDT
So distributions should support Live CDs for the odd occasion you want to use it on a 14 year old computer? I'm sure you are capable enough to work around that limitation yourself, or use one of the 'boutique' distributions that provide CD images for whatever specific task you need. There's always the option of personally remastering a CD.
notbob

Nov 26, 2015
2:15 PM EDT
> So distributions should support Live CDs for the odd occasion you want to use it on a 14 year old computer?

Why not?

I should support distros that join with hardware cabals in killing off older hardware --which still works jes fine!-- jes to make more $$$$ for said cabals? And for what reason? So I can be back door'ed and/or spied upon by nefarious corrupt mfr's or whoever?

Yeah. That's not the kinda progress I wanna buy into.
seatex

Nov 26, 2015
2:24 PM EDT
This is why it's a good thing that we have so many distros available, targeted for different types of systems.

But honestly, how many people are still running pre-USB pentiums now?

I actually consider the ability to boot from USB as a requirement for any system I support at this point. But that's just me. ;-)
cybertao

Nov 26, 2015
4:17 PM EDT
The electricity savings over a year from replacing an old P4 system are probably greater than the cost to replace it.
penguinist

Nov 26, 2015
4:45 PM EDT
Good point cybertao. Actually you could probably get nearly similar performance from a $35 Raspberry Pi 2 with its 4 cores @ 1GHz and 1GB memory.
notbob

Nov 26, 2015
5:40 PM EDT
> old P4 system are probably greater than the cost to replace it.

You would think.

Except, my Vaio P4 sys only runs the p/s fan during boot. The rest of the time, no fan running (not sure how that works). Plus, it has both USB 1.1 AND 2.0.

Granted, I DO need to upgrade. Even with NoScript and Slackware, this box is getting a tad slow, what with all the newer HD websites and all. But, being retired, I'm in no hurry. I can still watch U2B, OK. Not gonna spend $500 jes to gain 10 secs on boot. Plus, gotta Pentium D in the wings and my eee netbook WILL boot from a flash drive. I have both Bodhi and TAILS keys.

As for a Raspberry, I have the 1st gen Pi. Not as fast as my P4, but not gonna purchase another Raspberry, a Pi 2, jes to gain a modicum of speed.

Lotta ppl buy new jes to have the latest/greatest. That's precisely what the hard/software ppl want. Spend $$$$. Be cool! Get hacked.

gus3

Nov 26, 2015
6:03 PM EDT
notbob, I did finally cave and buy an RPi2 in May. The greater RAM and quad core make a huge difference. It takes only 2/3 the time to login as the RPi model B.
CFWhitman

Nov 30, 2015
11:52 AM EDT
I know that Kodi runs a lot better on the Raspberry Pi 2 than on the original. Issues that appear to be related to network streaming speed disappear even using the same wireless dongle. I don't need to put the system on a USB dongle and overclock the system to get decent UI performance either (I did both those things on the original). Of course you still can overclock if you want to.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!