Another very good post

Story: I’m finally free of all social media servicesTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
dotmatrix

Jan 11, 2016
2:48 PM EDT
I've found that the number one reason why I don't like or use most social media is:

I really don't care what most people think. If I want to hear a stream of nonsensical blather, I'll just visit the in-laws. At least the meaningless trite 'conversation' usually comes with free food.

cmost

Jan 11, 2016
6:59 PM EDT
@ dotmatrix

I agree with you 100%. And agree about the in-laws! You could also just listen to practically any politician or religious zealot if you are in need of a dose of nonsensical blather! Haha!
penguinist

Jan 11, 2016
7:11 PM EDT
I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only one on the Planet without a Facebook/Twitter account. MY information belongs on MY servers, not some third party server over which I have no control.

I also appreciate the comment about "nonsensical blather". Some people have the uncanny ability to expand zero thoughts into a seemingly unending number of words. Truly amazing, really.
cybertao

Jan 11, 2016
7:45 PM EDT
I have to use Facebook as I run a few pages for business, including my own. Like it or not, it's a major communication channel for a large number of people. As for personal use, the quality of the experience depends on the quality of people in your network. Instead of friending everyone I can my network is always kept to less than 30 people (and I have no qualms about unfriending redundant folk to keep it that way). It allows me to keep in touch with a variety of people and events relevant to me.

As to posting content, I am not into posting what I like, where I am, what I'm eating, or anything relevant to me - there's not even a picture of me. The content I share and post are informative topics important to me, which aren't posted to garnish a lot of likes or go viral, increasing the availability of real information - whether people from my small pool read it or not doesn't really matter; someone, somewhere might as my posts are publicly available. As the discussion about lxer keeps leaning towards, the only way to increase quality is to increase quality. Trollin' people can be fun when I'm in the mood as well. There's a tendency for people to form echo chambers of misinformation by only participating with people who already agree with them. Their ideas need to be challenged now and then.
dotmatrix

Jan 11, 2016
8:15 PM EDT
@cybertao:

> As the discussion about lxer keeps leading, the only way to increase quality is to increase quality. Trollin' people can be fun when I'm in the mood as well. There's a tendency for people to form echo chambers of misinformation by only participating with people who already agree with them. Their ideas need to be challenged now and then.

Indeed. And that's why news about censorship on social media matters, whether or not one agrees with the censored topic. It's also why I use ddg rather than google.
kikinovak

Jan 12, 2016
6:05 AM EDT
Social media are like meat. Those who don't eat it are often very loud about it.
cabreh

Jan 12, 2016
7:06 AM EDT
And those who do eat it aren't very concerned about their privacy.

skelband

Jan 13, 2016
9:10 PM EDT
Used to have a Facebook account many years ago. It was mainly used to keep in contact with people when I emigrated to Canada. Biggest issue was the amount of inane drivel that I used to be deluged with. It really wasn't worth it.

When they went rogue on the terms of service debacle, I left and have never missed it for one minute.
vainrveenr

Jan 13, 2016
9:39 PM EDT
Quoting:Used to have a Facebook account many years ago. It was mainly used to keep in contact with people when I emigrated to Canada. Biggest issue was the amount of inane drivel that I used to be deluged with. It really wasn't worth it.

When they went rogue on the terms of service debacle, I left and have never missed it for one minute.

More impassioned sentiments are expressed in the first two paragraphs of the essay INOLJ-OOW2.0C (Is Not On LiveJournal[1] Or Other Web 2.0 Cults):
Quoting:No, I'm really not interested in your Web-based "social network". And my data aren't going onto your Web-hosted "service".

I've been spammed by ArtBoom, Bebo, CardScan.Net, Congoo, Ecademy, Eventbee, Eventful, everyonesconnected.com, evite, Facebook, Flixster, Friendster, Google+, GreatestJournal, hi5.com, LinkedIn, LiveJournal, Living Directory, MeetUp, Memetika, Multiply, MySpace, openBC, Orkut, Plaxo, Quechup, Ringo, Ryze, Shortcut, Siliconindia.org, Spoke Software, Tagworld, Tickle (previously Emode), Tribe.net, Upcoming.org, Xanga, Yaari, Yafro, and Zvents — all telling me over and over how they're going to "build my social network", even though I'm absolutely not interested.

Specifically regarding Facebook, also see 3 Ways Facebook Plans to Exploit Users posted by this very commentator nearly four years ago.

Indeed, the author's ending quote of INOLJ-OOW2.0C (Is Not On LiveJournal[1] Or Other Web 2.0 Cults) likely remains applicable for the vast majority of non-business users of Facebook, given the ongoing "amount of inane drivel" such users regularly face:
Quoting:[2] Don Marti's definition: "In Web 2.0, application[s] use you."

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!