I trust the regulars here more than their "experts"

Story: Best Linux Distro: Linux Experts Rate DistrosTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
jdixon

Mar 16, 2016
4:54 PM EDT
I'm certain the regulars here could give folks much better evaluations that Matt Hartley and Bruce Byfield.
kikinovak

Mar 16, 2016
6:06 PM EDT
1. Slackware 2. YMMV
jdixon

Mar 16, 2016
8:17 PM EDT
> 1. Slackware 2. YMMV

Well, obviously I agree. :) But there are lots of folks here who have lots of experience with a number of distros.
penguinist

Mar 16, 2016
8:19 PM EDT
Each use-case has its own best linux distro. For example, here is how I am currently deploying:

For servers: CentOS 6 (not CentOS 7)

For RPis: Raspbian

For desktops and notebooks: Fedora (with multi-boots for slackware, ubuntu, debian, arch and gentoo)

For Odroids: Ubuntu

For Wifi Routers: ddwrt

seatex

Mar 17, 2016
12:23 PM EDT
Well, Linux Mint was #2 on both of their lists, and has been my #1 for newbs for sometime now. However, I've been running Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Beta for the past couple of weeks on my HP AMD A10-8700P Carrizo laptop, and it is impressing me as another fine newb-friendly distro.
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 17, 2016
4:50 PM EDT
Honestly, what works for you is what's best for you, and you have to look at what all the various distros/projects are about and then try what looks good. Your philosophy/beliefs, your hardware and your use case(s) -- all are factors.
Heather

Mar 20, 2016
5:19 PM EDT
I started with Ubuntu but ended up liking Mint. Maybe my favorite chocolate mint ice cream had something to do with that. :)
jdixon

Mar 20, 2016
5:22 PM EDT
> For servers: CentOS 6 (not CentOS 7)

Systemd concerns?
penguinist

Mar 20, 2016
5:33 PM EDT
Exactamente my friend. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on systemd. My mission critical systems are all holding at CentOS 6 specifically because of systemd. I'm not the only sysadmin holding this view.
jdixon

Mar 20, 2016
9:07 PM EDT
> As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on systemd. My mission critical systems are all holding at CentOS 6 specifically because of systemd.

Sensbile. I suspect Red Hat is seeing the same thing. I wonder what they'll do to alleviate their customers' concerns.
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 20, 2016
11:47 PM EDT
I run a CentOS 6 server. Since I also run Fedora, it wouldn't kill me to move to CentOS 7.
gary_newell

Mar 24, 2016
2:14 PM EDT
Bruce Byfield said I have never installed Knoppix to a disk and probably never will.

That is good to hear because Knoppix is a live distribution and isn't meant to be installed
linux4567

Mar 24, 2016
6:13 PM EDT
@penguinist: I'm right with you with regards to Centos 6 for servers and just like you I have no intention of using Centos 7 or any other systemd distro on a server.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!