Untitled

Story: A KMail Breakthrough.Total Replies: 3
Author Content
adsicks

May 01, 2016
4:17 PM EDT
At one time Kontact 4.x could just take mail copied into the location. In fact, I had a script that would back up and restore my mail since I was having so much problem with Kmail losing it at the time. I don't know exactly when it changed, but at some point I could not do that anymore. There really needs to be an option to not have AKonadi to use Kontact/Kmail. I mean it is so pretty and could be comparable to Outlook otherwise....I finally just switched to Thunderbird and within a month of doing so read that Mozilla is trying to dump that project on another foundation. I think what I would like is a good fork of Kmail 3 that works on qt 5.....
Ridcully

May 01, 2016
6:14 PM EDT
I'd have to more or less agree. KMail as it was originally developed was an excellent, stand-alone program. The KDE and KMail teams have made it totally dependent on the operation of another piece of software, Akonadi. As I proved in my articles, if Akonadi is not present and running, KMail will not function. Further, the absolute dependence of both KMail and other parts of KDE on Akonadi has now become what I would call "obscene" from a software viewpoint. There are probably some users who want this "non-choice-integration" of Akonadi, but equally in a FOSS world, there are others who neither want it nor need it.

The removal of user choice is one of the worst possible charges you can lay against FOSS developers, but I personally would definitely make it against the KDE/KMail developers. There should have been a way for Akonadi to be available if required, but only operating if the user wished; this would have left KMail and the rest of the components of the Personal Information Management suite free to operate independently at the user's desire. Perhaps it was just too hard or time consuming for the KDE/KMail team to undertake such a development path, so they chose the easier way to force every body onto the simpler path they wanted - because I think it would take real developmental effort to retain the "use or not use" choice of Akonadi. But who knows ?

I've also made an oblique reference to another aspect of KDE/KMail/Akonadi with respect to speed. In my opinion, if you don't have a 4-core 64bit computer, my advice is not to even consider KDE/KMail/Akonadi......an older 32 bit computer simply cannot handle the software fast enough.
dotmatrix

May 01, 2016
7:48 PM EDT
> if Akonadi is not present and running, KMail will not function.

This seems to be because nearly all of the communication with email servers and storage and retrieval has been offloaded to Akonadi.

If you look at the Akonadi website:

https://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Akonadi

it's apparent that Akonadi is not so much of a 'dependency' of KMail... it's actually more than half the application. So, it's impossible to remove Akonadi from KMail... That would be like trying to boot an OS without a kernel.

And if you want a real eye opener, read the PDF report about the goals of Akonadi:

https://community.kde.org/images.community/e/ee/Robert_Zwerus_-_Storing_PIM_data.pdf

>an older 32 bit computer simply cannot handle the software fast enough.

I'm sure there are many other opinions, but it would seem that the latest KMail would not be a good choice for an older machine.

Again, I would recommend sylpheed for older machines.

Here is some realtime info from my machine:

PID   USER    PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND 
20170 xyzjkl  20   0  520.0m  41.9m  24.6m S   0.0  0.2   0:06.75 sylpheed
I am displaying 12 open IMAP mailboxes each containing about 3000 messages. As well as a local archive containing more than 10,000 messages.

As you can see my many open mailboxes, messages, and connections only use about 65MB of RAM and since I've had the email client open for about 12 hours, you can see it doesn't use many CPU cycles either.

sylpheed is awesome... as long as you like your email in plain text [no html, but does include images], which is a good security practice anyway.
Ridcully

May 01, 2016
9:14 PM EDT
Oh yes, dotmatrix, I found out just what the KDE developers had done by doing the experiment of deleting Akonadi from KDE.......You end up with KDE totally unusable and as all the software that is dependent upon Akonadi is also deleted, you sit back in horror as you realise what these foolish, foolish people have done. I concluded that Xfce was probably the better window manager at this stage and it would be wise to move to another email client. I documented all of that in one of my three articles.

It was purely my "bl...dy-minded" stubbornness that made me make the attempt to get those emails into the latest version of KMail and I succeeded; but it doesn't make me any the happier with the overall development of KDE which now has become a grotesque caricature of the elegant software it once was. This is being written on openSUSE 11.4, the last version of that software that still had a version of KDE that retained most of its elegance and simplicity.

Now that I have achieved my goals with that latest version of KMail, I will probably wipe the whole drive and see if I can find an archival copy of openSUSE 11.4 in 64 bit mode. Then experiment with that.....AS I remarked in my articles, the KDE/KMail team don't give a tinker's curse about the users, as long as they have done what they want to do. But one of my conclusions in my articles was that I could not recommend KDE in its current form to any beginner in Linux because of its Akonadi monolith......I am still of that opinion. I think it may be time for me to get very serious about openSUSE 13.1 running Xfce.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!