It's my choice

Story: Why do you use Linux?Total Replies: 2
Author Content
nmset

May 21, 2016
6:23 AM EDT
Why do you use Linux ? It's my choice, for a long list of reasons.

We could wish the author starts a new article and survey with the embarrassing question : why don't you use Linux ?

For Windows, the most common reply would be : it's not my choice.
penguinist

May 21, 2016
8:08 AM EDT
For me it's also a long list of reasons but on top of my list is

Control

The choice we have is between letting a vendor control our systems or taking control ourselves. My choice is definitely the second.
dotmatrix

May 21, 2016
9:53 AM EDT
From the choices in the article's poll:

z. almost all of the above [not the last choice.]

I believe Microsoft screwed up when they didn't follow through on a full implementation of POSIX. The BASH on Windows seems to be their very late understanding that 'standard' command-line ninja weapons matter. If MS Windows was POSIX compliant and included sane developer tools, it's very unlikely I would have discovered GNU and Linux. Having said that, my computing life would be much poorer if I had never discovered GNU and Linux. And now there is no going back.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, I and perhaps more than 36 million other humans have found our way out of the MS proprietary computing prison and we love it out here in the wide and wild, free and open source softscape with new secrets and new pathways to be uncovered and rediscovered. By comparison, MS Windows feels unexciting and dull, while - I personally feel - MacOSx is exasperatingly trying too hard to be 'user-friendly'...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!