What Kind of Commitment?

Story: Skype Announce Brand New Linux Client, Now In AlphaTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Fettoosh

Jul 13, 2016
12:51 PM EDT
I don't see any other reaffirmation of their commitment to the community but to kill Linux. They haven't given up yet and they are in the extend stage. I don't believe them until they abandon Windows and use Linux. Releasing native versions of their application for Linux could be a first step.
penguinist

Jul 13, 2016
1:27 PM EDT
I would take that line of thinking a step further. For me the issue is all about who controls my computer or device. When I use Linux then I clearly have control. I don't see Microsoft ever yielding control to their users. It will always be Microsoft in control, and what they release in the name of "loving linux" will never ever cause control to leave Microsoft's hands.

When Microsoft struck a deal to have someone put bash on Windows, Microsoft lost no control whatsoever and users were left with all the lower layers remaining closed and secret always with the hope that in Windows 11 things will somehow get better. It really doesn't matter much if Microsoft decides to offer some FOSS components, they will just be wagging the end of the tail with Microsoft staying in charge of the animal.

Regarding the idea of Microsoft "releasing native versions of their application for Linux", to me running closed and secret Microsoft applications in my Linux machines would compromise my control of those machines, and therefore I will never under any circumstance permit it. For the record, I removed Skype from my Linux machines the day its sale to Microsoft was announced, and I terminated my membership in LinkedIn the day their MS sale was announced.

I am so very pleased that running a pure-FOSS Linux system gives me full control of my machines. Nothing that MS can do will cause me to give up the control I now enjoy.
NoDough

Jul 13, 2016
4:03 PM EDT
penguinist wrote:...with the hope that in Windows 11 things will somehow get better.

There will be no Windows 11. Their current strategy is to make Windows 10 a rolling release. So, currently Windows 10 is supposed to be the last Windows version ever. (We'll see how long marketing can tolerate that.)

Business features have been relegated to Windows 10 Enterprise which will cost $7/month/PC.

Windows Server 2016 licenses are also transitioning into subscriptions.
jdixon

Jul 13, 2016
4:18 PM EDT
So, what percentage of the desktop market is Linux again? Why would Microsoft really be releasing a beta for 1-2% of the market?
flufferbeer

Jul 13, 2016
8:21 PM EDT
@Fettoosh

> I don't see any other reaffirmation of their commitment to the community but to kill Linux. They haven't given up yet and they are in the extend stage.

Darn right! Nothing other than M$'s bad old EEE maybe disguised for a spell in sheep's clothing, but still thrown right back at you/us.

2c

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!