I think this says it best...

Story: 6 reasons why GNOME is still the best Linux desktop environmentTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
jdixon

Aug 04, 2017
12:40 PM EDT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIlL0T2yTss
Koriel

Aug 04, 2017
10:51 PM EDT
Agreed
seatex

Aug 05, 2017
12:49 AM EDT
If it was the best, everyone would be using it by now. Nuff said.
jdixon

Aug 05, 2017
3:30 AM EDT
> If it was the best, everyone would be using it by now.

Each person/computer combination is different. What works best for one might not work best for another. Even the same person might choose two different desktops on two different computers.

That alone is why the idea is laughable. Add in the historic problems Gnome has had...

KDE 4: Watch us alienate our user base. Gnome 3: Here, hold my beer.
seatex

Aug 05, 2017
8:14 AM EDT
As long as MATE, Trinity (KDE3), XFCE, and Cinnamon (what Gnome 3 should have been) are available, I don't really care what KDE and Gnome developers do anymore.

Even MS developers finally got the "WTF?" memo from Windows 8 users, and returned the Start Menu to satisfy them.

KDE has shown signs recently that they've had a revelation in their group think - might get more users if they fix their bugs and design issues, and stop breaking things in general, to satisfy them.

Gnome developers are still only reading pre-screened fanboy articles like this one.
cybertao

Aug 08, 2017
7:20 PM EDT
Is it so hard to entertain the idea people like GNOME? I'm one of them.

It does everything I need and nothing more.
jdixon

Aug 08, 2017
8:33 PM EDT
> Is it so hard to entertain the idea people like GNOME? I'm one of them.

Not hard at all. But you're not everyone. Some people like Gnome. Some people like KDE. Some people like XFCE. Some people like LXDE. Some people prefer Fluxbox, Blackbox, or Windowmaker. Some people prefer IceWM. Some prefer RatPoison or even TWM. There are literally dozens to choose from, and everyone has one they consider the best.
jdixon

Aug 15, 2017
8:41 AM EDT
Now, for comparison, see today's article: https://opensource.com/article/17/8/gnome-20-anniversary

Note that he says " GNOME is my favorite GUI". He doesn't say it's the best. He doesn't pretend it's the best for everyone. He say's it's HIS favorite, and gives his reasons. He implicitly acknowledges that others may agree or disagree with his reasons and assessment.
seatex

Aug 15, 2017
9:41 AM EDT
And he calls it a GUI, instead of a DE, which actually may be a more appropriate description for Gnome 3, now that I think about it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!