Oh Dear Firefox

Story: Firefox fights backTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
darry1966

Aug 07, 2017
3:57 AM EDT
Oh dear firefox style over substance. How about fixing your Browser.

Strip it down and get back to a stable, fast, quality Browser. Not trying to create ridiculous amount of versions in a year with a bloated unstable mess. Quality Mozilla - quality.
jdixon

Aug 07, 2017
6:13 AM EDT
How can they do that when they're too busy firing their best employees for political contributions?

Brave has already passed them in usefulness. If you have a 64 bit system give it a try. Otherwise try Pale Moon.
seatex

Aug 07, 2017
9:33 AM EDT
The officers on the Titanic were confident as well, until it sank. Difference is, Mozilla created the icebergs it is now hitting.
dotmatrix

Aug 07, 2017
11:06 AM EDT
So...

The new and "better" Firefox will not block ads or trackers at all. Also, all the ad and tracking blocker extensions will break and probably cease to be developed.

Oh well. I guess I'm officially done with Firefox.
penguinist

Aug 07, 2017
11:48 AM EDT
With Firefox I feel like an old friend is letting me down. The quality continues to drop and the issues continue to appear.

I've tried Chrome and found it to be a solid browser with nice features, but I really dislike its lack of openness. I dislike that so much that I'm willing to sacrifice some features if I can get a pure FOSS browser.

Following jdixon's tip, I just installed Brave and am using it now to write this post. The jury is still out on Brave, it still has issues and I'm not sure it's really ready yet for prime time, but I like some of the things they are doing.
penguinist

Aug 07, 2017
11:57 AM EDT
Ok, after 10 minutes with Brave, I'm back in the Firefox camp.

Brave's big problem right now is that they are doing things on the main gui thread that really should be done on their own thread. That makes the gui unresponsive for periods of time.

I can't live with that behavior, but I'm sure they will be addressing issues like that in the due course of time, and I'll be sure to check back with the project in a few months to check progress.
dotmatrix

Aug 07, 2017
2:17 PM EDT
@penguinist:

I've been using Brave for a number of months now. My installation runs much faster than Firefox ever did. As with everything software, the specific machine is probably a factor.

Brave is my browser of choice, but I agree it needs a lot of work. I'm looking forward to the 1.0 release whenever that may be....
jdixon

Aug 07, 2017
2:51 PM EDT
> Brave is my browser of choice, but I agree it needs a lot of work.

It's not my browser of choice, but probably only because I run a 32 bit installation and they don't make 32 bit builds available (yes, I've looked into building it myself, but it's not for the faint of heart). It does have a number of bugs yet though.

I use Pale Moon as my default browser, since it's a fork of Firefox.
gus3

Aug 08, 2017
9:14 AM EDT
"Not for the faint of heart..."

Yeah, I'll second that. I've written a kernel module (that actually works!), and I won't even try to build Firefox, Seamonkey, LibreOffice...
jdixon

Aug 08, 2017
11:20 AM EDT
> ...and I won't even try to build Firefox, Seamonkey, LibreOffice...

The Slackbuilds package for LibreOffice should be a godsend if you wanted to build it from source. I've never tried one of the distro provided packages though.

As for Brave, it starts with:

Prerequisites

nodejs >= 7.9.0

The version available at Slackbuilds.org for Slackware 14.2 is 6.11.1. Even AlienBob only has 6.11.2, :(

hkwint

Sep 07, 2017
4:55 PM EDT
Quoting:I've tried Chrome and found it to be a solid browser with nice features, but I really dislike its lack of openness.

Then why not Chromium?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!