Black vs. Blue Screens of Death on Windows

Story: Black screen of death after Win10 update? Microsoft blames HPTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
seatex

Sep 19, 2017
5:01 PM EDT
Personally, I prefer the old-style blue screens of death. Blue is psychologically more soothing than black.

But, since I've been using Linux for 11 years and haven't actually seen the new black screen of death for Windows 10, I am certainly no authority on this.
penguinist

Sep 19, 2017
5:51 PM EDT
I'm sure it is largely a matter of personal preference.

If I was working for Microsoft and was given the job of developing the next generation screen of death, I'd probably go with a blazing red.
seatex

Sep 19, 2017
6:02 PM EDT
Red would be more appropriate for a screen of death. Maybe with a fading red H.A.L. eye in the middle of the screen, singing "Daisy" slower and slower...
jdixon

Sep 19, 2017
9:04 PM EDT
AFAICT from having worked on it a few times, the modern black screen is almost always a problem in between the bootup and the initialization of the video drivers. As such it may or may not have any bearing on a kernel fault. As reported here, it will sometimes be a temporary problem where the machine is merely slow to boot.
TPJones491

Nov 20, 2017
7:33 PM EDT
@seatex That would be terrifying.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!