Well, since they insist on asking on a regular basis.

Story: Vipul Siddharth: How Do You Fedora?Total Replies: 4
Author Content
jdixon

Jan 10, 2018
12:25 PM EDT
I don't. When Red Hat dropped their consumer version I dropped Red Hat. I'd always been primarily a Slackware user using Red Hat as a backup distro. I've never looked back.

I even finally sold my 15 shares of Red Hat stock late last year. I figured a 10 fold gain from my original purchase in the late 90's was probably about as good as it was going to get. They're looking more an more like a company that has lost it's focus to me.
flufferbeer

Jan 10, 2018
3:29 PM EDT
@jdixon,

> They're looking more an more like a company that has lost it's focus to me.

Let's not forget that RedHat inc. is also the employer of high-and-mighty Lennart Poettering, the major creator of the evil systemd "infection" that's been FOISTED unto we distro users left and right!

2c
penguinist

Jan 11, 2018
3:14 AM EDT
Well that's one of the nice things about Linux, we can each choose a distribution that is a good match to our personality and care-abouts. For me my two distributions of choice are Fedora on my desktops/notebooks and Centos/RHEL on my servers (ok, to be complete I should also list raspbian for my RPIs, and ubuntu for my crypto-currency miner).

Why Fedora/Centos you ask? Because they are rock solid, well maintained, and easy to configure to suit my purposes. So, I have a nice appreciation for Red Hat and its support of the Linux open source community.

I'm not saying that Red Hat has not made some mistakes (like supporting/advocating systemd for example), but all in all I think the Linux community is better for having a Red Hat by our side.

Jan 13, 2018
11:08 AM EDT
Yeah, distro choice...

Except that systemd tentacles are worming their ways into just about everything via code churn, while they are trying to suggest that anything that do not get major version number bump every odd year or so is a dead project.
cybertao

Jan 15, 2018
10:39 AM EDT
I use Fedora everyday. It's my distro of choice. Well polished, up to date, and stable.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!