Commercial Linux vs. Community Linux

Story: Microsoft's Peace Treaty With the 'Linux System'Total Replies: 6
Author Content
penguinist

Oct 16, 2018
9:32 AM EDT
As I read it, what Microsoft is saying is that it will not sue users who BUY commercial Linux from OIN member companies.

What Microsoft is not claiming is that it will refrain from sueing users of Linux in general.

Let's take an example: You start a small business and you run it on your favorite Linux distribution, like Debian or CentOS for example. Are you protected against a major lawsuit from Microsoft? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are just as vulnerable to Microsoft today as you were last week.

This is not the software freedom (FOSS) that the open source movement strives to reach.
nmset

Oct 16, 2018
3:01 PM EDT
>Like other OIN members, Microsoft does not give up its right to enforce its patents against companies that develop, sell, or use open source solutions designed to run on top of the Linux system.

In this case, OIN should not be presented as a Linux protecting entity.

And please, let no one ever speak about trusting microsoft.evil.com.
penguinist

Oct 16, 2018
4:06 PM EDT
> And please, let no one ever speak about trusting microsoft.evil.com.

I agree. We see this over and over and over and over, and the sheep are quick to say "oh look, Microsoft has changed".

Microsoft says hey look at how good and trustworthy we are now, and then the other shoe drops and we see how devious and evil they really are.

What we have here in my opinion is Microsoft's attempt to Commercialize Linux.
jdixon

Oct 17, 2018
5:06 AM EDT
> As I read it, what Microsoft is saying is that it will not sue users who BUY commercial Linux from OIN member companies.

That could be an accurate assessment, yes. So how exactly do CentOS and OpenSuSE fit into the picture? They're both fully sanctioned by the respective commercial vendors.
penguinist

Oct 17, 2018
7:47 AM EDT
If you didn't buy your Linux from an OIN member then you are not protected from Microsoft and their army of patent trolls.

<sarcasm> Tell me again that Microsoft loves Linux. </sarcasm>
jdixon

Oct 17, 2018
3:28 PM EDT
> Tell me again that Microsoft loves Linux.

Never in a million years. But they do seem to have realized they can't beat it: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/ubuntu/9nblggh4msv6
gus3

Oct 17, 2018
7:16 PM EDT
"9nblggh4msv6" sounds like Microsoft gritting its teeth upon being forced to admit this.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!