Google is being "hazy"

Story: Google: We're not killing ad blockers. Translation: We made them too powerful, we'll cram this genie back in its bottleTotal Replies: 21
Author Content
gus3

Jun 14, 2019
2:29 AM EDT
That's the best word yet to describe how Google wants to make us w.r.t. their corporate intentions. "Hazy" results in confusion, misunderstanding, disorientation. Thick, heavy fog.

Google never wants the rest of us rubes to see what they're really up to.

Don't use Google's stuff, when you have an alternative.
jdixon

Jun 14, 2019
9:00 AM EDT
> Don't use Google's stuff, when you have an alternative.

Gmail --> ProtonMail. Google search --> DuckDuckGo and/or StartPage. Youtube --> BitChute.

Anyone else have any additions?
nmset

Jun 14, 2019
2:30 PM EDT
>Gmail --> ProtonMail

IMO, ProtonMail probably gives a false sense of privacy. Could be another honey pot. ProtonMail creates, stores and manages GPG keys, public and private. The password protecting the key can be captured by the web application. It has to be fed in clear text to the GPG libraries in any case. How private is the secret key then ? It's all up to trust, for non-critical user data. Please correct this assertion if I'm wrong.

Gmail --> SomeMailProvider
jdixon

Jun 14, 2019
9:18 PM EDT
> Gmail --> SomeMailProvider

Well, we use pobox.com (now owned by fastmail) as a mail forwarder and he.net (hurricane electric) as a web host, so we have them forward our email to he. They offer webmail, though I seldom use it.

But for folks who are used to gmail, protonmail is something a lot closer to what they'll be used to, and they're far better than Google even if they're not completely trustworthy. I've never heard of any problems with them though.
penguinist

Jun 15, 2019
6:02 AM EDT
I share the opinion of gus3 in that I am unconvinced that my personal data is safe from abuse when I put it on Google servers. (Please Google, convince me that you don't sell my data to governments.) For my part, I'll add these ideas to the list:

Google Android --> LineageOS (does not require Google identification)

Google Play Store --> F-Droid (very nice), Yalp Store, Aurora Store

Google Maps --> OSM (open street maps)

Gmail --> K-9 Mail attached to my own mail server

Google ADB --> SSHelper.apk (if you like rsync for scripting backups and moving data in bulk, then this is THE app for you)

Note 1: I have two mobile devices, one of which runs without Google login/identification and is completely free of Google closed applications. The other device is still running with Google Maps for navigation and therefore still requires Google identification. OSM continues to improve while at the same time Google Maps continues to "dumb down" so maybe the time will soon be right to take the final step and go completely free of Google entanglements on both devices.

Note 2: Always check the LineageOS compatibility list before buying your next device.
seatex

Jun 15, 2019
8:44 PM EDT
Google developing a censored search engine for China,

Nuff said.
gus3

Jun 16, 2019
12:38 AM EDT
It was their first big mis-step, when they went against their motto "Don't Be Evil." And they regretted it.

For a while.
TxtEdMacs

Jun 16, 2019
6:33 PM EDT
My August Gus III,

What exactly was Google's first big misstep? I ask, because Alphabet, the holding company that owns Google, dropped "Don't Be Evil" 2nd of October, 2015. If it, that big misstep, happened later than the creation date there was no regret.

As Always,

TxtEdMacs
gus3

Jun 18, 2019
2:13 PM EDT
In either 2004 or 2005, Google censored searches for "tiananmen square protests", at the behest of Beijing, an action Larry Page(?) later said the company never should have done.
TxtEdMacs

Jun 18, 2019
2:45 PM EDT
This is a wild, unverified guess: I just do not see Page as the one likely to have regretted an immoral stance or action. Brin is the more likely person. Moreover, I remember an incident where Brin regretted something that Google had done. He, Brin, based his regret on his experiences / knowledge of the actions seen and known to have occurred in the former Soviet Union. So Brin would have preferred not to be seen as doing similar acts.

I will gladly accept derision should I be proved wrong. However, observing Page in charge of Google and Alphabet I doubt I will have to ever apologize.

As always, your buddy,

TxtEdMacs
seatex

Jun 22, 2019
11:18 AM EDT
Review: Google Chrome has become surveillance software. It’s time to switch.

Our latest privacy experiment found Chrome ushered more than 11,000 tracker cookies into our browser — in a single week. Here’s why Firefox is better.

https://www.siliconvalley.com/2019/06/21/google-chrome-has-b...
jdixon

Jun 23, 2019
7:59 AM EDT
> Review: Google Chrome has become surveillance software. It’s time to switch.

Palemoon, Brave, Opera, Vilvadi, and I've really been liking what I've seen of Otter so far. There are lots of options.
gus3

Jun 23, 2019
8:15 AM EDT
How about Waterfox? Any opinion?
jdixon

Jun 23, 2019
8:34 AM EDT
> How about Waterfox?

I've never tried it. Anyone else with pros or cons?
TxtEdMacs

Jun 23, 2019
2:27 PM EDT
gus3,

>> How about Waterfox? Any opinion?

Sure, isn't that an Otter by another name?

You did say opinion ...

TxtEdMacs
jdixon

Jun 23, 2019
6:44 PM EDT
> Sure, isn't that an Otter by another name?

I'd think that would be WaterWeasel or WaterFerret.

"Otters are carnivorous mammals in the subfamily Lutrinae ... Lutrinae is a branch of the weasel family Mustelidae, which also includes badgers, honey badgers, martens, minks, polecats, and wolverines."

Foxes are canines, members of the Canidae family.

gus3

Jun 23, 2019
6:47 PM EDT
Except for firefoxes...
TxtEdMacs

Jun 23, 2019
7:04 PM EDT
jd,

Shame on you!

Don't confuse us with FACTS, when we adore opinion ... no matter how wrong.

As always,

TxtEdMacs

P.S. gus3 got it right.
jdixon

Jun 23, 2019
9:12 PM EDT
> Except for firefoxes...

Correct. As I understand it, they're actually red pandas, a completely different species.

"The red panda is the only living species of the genus Ailurus and the family Ailuridae. It has been previously placed in the raccoon and bear families, but the results of phylogenetic analysis provide strong support for its taxonomic classification in its own family, Ailuridae, which is part of the superfamily Musteloidea, along with the weasel, raccoon and skunk families."
TxtEdMacs

Jun 24, 2019
11:41 AM EDT
jd,

You had me going there, believing everything. You know facts, but I smelled something fishy. It was too good a story especially one that ends with a skunk. Now I saw it. After all it ends where the threads are tied together neatly:

Waterfox is just a drowned Skunk!

Your buddy,

TxtEdMacs
seatex

Jul 02, 2019
6:16 PM EDT
Google to block all anti-cancer, “anti-vax” and anti-GMO websites at the browser level as tech giant goes all-in with pharma drug cartels

https://www.naturalnews.com/2019-07-02-google-to-block-all-a...
flufferbeer

Jul 02, 2019
9:20 PM EDT
@gus3

>It was their first big mis-step, when they went against their motto "Don't Be Evil." And they regretted it.

> For a while.

+1 !

All the way from "Don't Be Evil" to "Do MORE and MORE Evil!"

2c

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!