Why not to start your Linux Journey with Linux Mint?

Story: Why Start your Linux Journey with Linux Mint?Total Replies: 7
Author Content
dba477

Mar 15, 2020
9:17 AM EDT
Well the core reason is Cinnamon Desktop provided by Linux Mint.However, you might migrate to Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS and proceed by installing Cinnamon Desktop as alternative to Gnome 3.32 on Ubuntu 18.04. We actually need just two command line directives on Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS to achieve so much needed Cinnamon desktop environment. Just run via CLI $ sudo apt update $ sudo apt install cinnamon-desktop-environment Moreover that is not a problem on F31 WKS as well . You might have have on both systems Ubuntu 18.04 and F31 WKS two options for selection of desktop environment at login prompt via making a choice in drop down menu initiated by clicking on small wheel right under password prompt window.
cabreh

Mar 16, 2020
10:12 AM EDT
Since Linux Mint is already based on Ubuntu, and all of their releases are LTS releases, why would you want to pick Ubuntu to start and then change it to be much like Mint? Why not simply use Mint?
dba477

Mar 24, 2020
2:45 AM EDT
Having LMDE 4 up and running with no issues I would forget about Mint. http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/283409/index.html
cabreh

Mar 24, 2020
8:52 AM EDT
So, you are running Linux Mint Debian Edition and will forget about Mint? Sounds a little confusing to me.
dba477

Mar 26, 2020
7:17 AM EDT
Please be aware of LMDE aims to be as similar as possible to Linux Mint, but *without* using Ubuntu. The package base is provided by Debian instead. LMDE 4 is based on Debian Buster. See https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/amd64/release-notes/
cabreh

Mar 26, 2020
9:29 AM EDT
Yes, I know that. In fact I have even tried it in the past. However, it is Linux Mint. And it is using older software than the Ubuntu version simply because it is using Debian as a base. For me that just wasn't quite good enough. And since I don't have any issues with Ubuntu I am using that version of Mint and finding it the best OS I have ever tried.
dba477

Mar 26, 2020
12:53 PM EDT
I do have a trouble with Ubuntu. At the moment I intend to do switch to Debian as soon as I will feel that my knowledge of Debian Buster is good enough.Why take the derivative of the derivative ?
cabreh

Mar 26, 2020
6:15 PM EDT
Because, as I mentioned, a lot of the packages are newer than with Debian.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!