Wake me when..

Story: Lenovo begins rollout of Fedora Linux on their laptops, Ubuntu systems due soonTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
jdixon

Aug 31, 2020
11:28 AM EDT
A manufacturer starts including Linux in their budget line PC's that cost less than $300.

I don't need a $1000+ laptop. I don't even need a $500+ laptop. My current $150 laptop that is just over two years old meets my needs.
gus3

Aug 31, 2020
6:25 PM EDT
When I bought my Asus EeePC 901 netbook, it had Xandros pre-installed. And it cost $199 in 2009.
nmset

Sep 01, 2020
6:20 AM EDT
> cost less than $300.

Won't happen before mass diffusion of GNU/Linux on the desktop. OEMs and politics have secured close ties with MS. It's true that none of the Linux pre-installed machines are cheap. There are no major Linux players to bribe decision makers. On the contrary, MS has got influential seats in the Linux Foundation board, because once again, they've got the bucks.
jdixon

Sep 02, 2020
10:10 AM EDT
> When I bought my Asus EeePC 901 netbook, it had Xandros pre-installed. And it cost $199 in 2009.

That was also the cost of my Dell Mini-9 (technically an Inspiron 901) with Ubuntu preinstalled, purchased around the same time. Unfortunately between it's 8GB SSD and 32 bit Atom processor, current versions of Ubuntu will no longer install. So when its battery finally died for the second time, I decided it was time for a new laptop.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!