Linuxiac.com inaccessible to some countries?

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
richarson

Feb 21, 2022
9:33 PM EDT
Hi everyone!

I don't want to sound ressented but for a few weeks now linuxiac.com isn't accessible from Argentina anymore, this is all I got now:

"Country not supported. Thanks for visiting Linuxiac. Unfortunately we are unavailable in your location."

This doesn't seem good on their part and I'll try to get in touch with them to ask why they block countries.

Does this happen to other Lxer readers? Is this allowed by Lxer?

Honestly, if they (or any other website) are going to block random countries I'd prefer not to get feeds from them anymore via Lxer, but again I'll first try to contact them to find out what's the problem.

Thanks for reading!
FABZ

Mar 04, 2022
9:47 AM EDT
Hi Richarson,

I'm from Brazil and also unable to access the website, so I installed "Hotspot Shield Free VPN Proxy" on Chrome's web store to access it. I also saw a comment on twitter from someone not being able to access it too. I don't know why they are limiting only for US users...
bobolin

Mar 05, 2022
6:14 PM EDT
Hi all,

Linuxiac staff member here. Yes, unfortunately, access to the website is currently unavailable in some countries. The reasons for this are beyond my authority to comment on.

Fortunately, it's expected this unpleasant situation to be resolved by mid-April and the website to be available again from everywhere.
richarson

Mar 05, 2022
7:36 PM EDT
Hi FABZ, thanks for confirming it,

Hi bobolin, thanks for the update, hope it gets resolved soon!
richarson

Mar 17, 2022
10:41 AM EDT
Linuxiac is accessible from Argentina again!

o/
richarson

Mar 27, 2022
12:26 PM EDT
Aaaand we're blocked again :(

I'm done with linuxiac.
sombragris

Sep 06, 2023
1:43 PM EDT
I second this. I am from Paraguay and when I try to click on a linuxiac link I get this:

"Sorry, you have been blocked You are unable to access linuxiac.com"

To LXer admins: please refrain from linking to this site. What use could have a site which blocks everyone not in their own backyard?
bob

Sep 06, 2023
7:25 PM EDT
Hello sombragris and all,

We have made an attempt to contact the site operators at linuxiac.com and have requested that they open up to the international audience, and especially to Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil.

As a side note, I will say that LXer also sees a never ending series of exploit attempts, many originating from points inside Russia and friends, but our approach is to block by IP range and not by country. Our legitimate Linux viewers, also in Russia, can still get access to their Linux news.

Saludos cordiales, Bob
sombragris

Sep 07, 2023
4:27 AM EDT
Thanks, Bob. I'm sorry to hear about those exploit attempts. Let's hope linuxiac opens up.
dba477

Sep 07, 2023
5:28 AM EDT
Well, at least two of well known and very popular browsers ( I don't count Google Chrome ) have several embeded free VPNs, which might be installed just as browser's extensions. All of them provide you an option to have a short glance at articles on site mentioned above. Sorry for this reminder : One of the biggest threats to Internet Security is using http instead of https
sombragris

Sep 08, 2023
1:31 PM EDT
I am not the person responsible for the blocking. I will not take any special measures for overcoming that, more so if they (like VPNs) may compromise my privacy. And I don't see any option for any VPN in my browser (Firefox). Your comment is really unhelpful.
dba477

Sep 08, 2023
1:41 PM EDT
<<And I don't see any option for any VPN in my browser (Firefox). Your comment is really unhelpful.>> The answer is here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/setupvpn/ , in particular it's possible to manage following https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/browsec/
sombragris

Sep 08, 2023
3:55 PM EDT
I will *not* install any addon or extension solely for the sake of accessing this website. Again, not helpful. The burden should not rest on the user.
bob

Sep 09, 2023
1:35 AM EDT
We have this response from linuxiac.com:

"Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it! The geo-blocking has been removed, and LXer's visitors should no longer have a problem accessing links pointing to linuxiac.com."

Based on this, we will resume the posting of linuxiac articles on LXer.
sombragris

Sep 09, 2023
7:38 PM EDT
Hi bob, I can confirm I can access linuxiac.com's home page, which looks really interesting. I think I'll spend some time reading the content. Thanks for your good efforts, thanks also to the linuxiac guys for lifting the block. Thanks again!!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!