How many are there?

Story: Linux Mint Disabling Unverified Flatpaks By DefaultTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 04, 2024
5:42 PM EDT
How many unverified flatpacks are there? I have no idea. And how can Chrome be one of them?

Chrome is the most used browser on the planet as far as I know. How can it be unverified? Unverified flatpacks supposedly have no developer certification or verification or some such? How is that possible with Chrome? It doesn't make any sense to me.

Again, I am more than welcome to be instructed and informed as to what the facts are and complexities of this issue are by those in the know. Please inform me.
schestowitz

Jun 04, 2024
10:22 PM EDT
There were incidents as recently as months ago of rogue flakpaks and snaps
schestowitz

Jun 04, 2024
10:23 PM EDT
"However, there is a bit of a problem with Flatpak apps that are "unverified", meaning, a Flatpak package maintained by someone else (not the official developer/company)." https://news.itsfoss.com/linux-mint-22-matrix-flatpak/
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 04, 2024
10:35 PM EDT
It makes sense. I'm not arguing that. I just can't believe that Chrome isn't officially maintained by Google. How is that possible? Who maintains it then?

I know that it is based on Chromium, but it isn't just Chromium with a different colored logo. It's different in a lot of ways. It's an official Google product if I'm not mistaken.
schestowitz

Jun 04, 2024
11:41 PM EDT
The packaging is not done by Google:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=786909

They found a blunder.
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 05, 2024
12:48 AM EDT
So because it is not packaged by Google that means that it's not maintained by them in general? It's updated by them isn't it? Still doesn't make sense to me.
gus3

Jun 05, 2024
7:23 AM EDT
Trust, but verify. That "but verify" part doesn't get enforced enough.

Viz. Jia Tan.
schestowitz

Jun 05, 2024
7:30 AM EDT
OpenBSD has been extra careful to drop packages only a single author maintains and nobody reads (at commit level)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!