Story: Linux Is Free, But I Pay for Linux PCs: Here's WhyTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
nmset

Jul 17, 2024
6:41 AM EDT
> Linux Is Guaranteed to Work on These PCs

> You Don't Need Technical Knowledge

Yes and no.

I bought a high-end Tuxedo laptop with this faith in mind. It does not wake up from suspend in the only s2idle mode available. After days of struggling, the manufacturer pointed me to a kernel patch to address this. Indeed, booting with a patched kernel transformed the laptop into a laptop. Obviously, Average Joe won't even be able to do this.

The problem is a mix-up of the AMD Ryzen 7 7840HS CPU with USB4. The patch is a PCI quirk that Linux developers do not want to integrate mainstream, although the quirks.c file already contains many device specific resolutions. Tuxedo is not to be blamed for that. I am therefore 'condemned' to build a kernel for years, I'll do that on every major release.

So much research is still needed before buying a PC for Linux, whoever builds it.

the_doctor

Jul 17, 2024
12:00 PM EDT
Linux is not free. Someone pays real money to develop the kernel, the desktop environments, drivers, productivity software, all subsequent updates/upgrades, and distribution. It may not cost you anything (because Linux has been and is now a "labor of love"), but somebody picks up the tab.

Scott_Ruecker

Jul 17, 2024
10:30 PM EDT
I agree with the the_doctor, Linux is not free. Someone, somewhere down the line pays for the work done to it no matter how big and no matter how small.

nmset issues seem to me to be that he had cutting edge hardware in a brand new laptop. Anyone could run into that kind of issue, the manufacture should have done more research into that before putting it on the market. It would have saved the buyer a lot of time and heartache. That's the big issue when it comes to Linux products on the market I think.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!