Almost? When WILL it be

Story: Sun Lights No Fires Under LinuxTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
viking

Feb 17, 2004
6:55 PM EDT
"Ready" is a hard thing to define with any real certainty.

1) What do users want? 2) What do users at work want? 3) Lastly, what do IT managers want for their users?

You'll usually find that these three categories don't have a 100% overlap. Quite often, less than 30% overlap (a figure I'm just pulling off the top of my head here). As it's the company hiring the people, in the workplace, you're more likely to see features from category 3 first, followed rather reluctantly by features from category 2, and the only reason category 1 features get their toe in the doors is if they provide "added value" for the workplace.

Even within the distinct categories, you can have a really wide spread - one person likes all the power features at their beck and call, most others wouldn't know what to do with them and want them not even present.

There's also a distinction between: doing a job, and doing a job well. What "gets the job done well" commonly gets disregarded, because it takes more knowhow than just plain "getting the job done" - here, I quote the inevitable Notepad vs. Vim comparison. I can get more done with vim than I can with Notepad, however, Notepad will get the job done - if it's just plain editing. Literally ANYBODY can be sat down in front of Notepad, and know the basics in thirty seconds; whereas, with Vim, I'm STILL learning stuff - and I've only been using it for nine or so years.

I repeat, "Ready" is a hard thing to define with any real certainty.

Any other comments?

The Viking

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!