Alt-X to switch tabs?

Story: Firefox 0.8 is the release that won me overTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
greensky

Feb 19, 2004
10:25 PM EDT
In Galeon you can hit alt-1 to switch to tab 2, alt-2 to switch to tab 2... alt-x for tab x... Can you do this in FireFox. You can do that w/the control key, but I want to be able to use alt key.
dave

Feb 20, 2004
6:09 AM EDT
Nice tip, I didn't even know that you could do that. I use Alt-[0-9] to move through my WindowMaker desktops, so I actually like using Ctrl. I looked through the about:config about didn't find anything that would customize this for you.

Here's a tip: You can use Ctrl-PgUp and Ctrl-PgDn to cycle through tabs. That's what I usually do.

Dave
dave

Feb 20, 2004
6:45 AM EDT
I looked some more and it looks like ui.key might be what you're looking for. Try playing around with those settings (18 = Control, 17 = Alt) and see. You might have to restart your browser for the changes to take effect.

dave
greensky

Feb 20, 2004
8:58 AM EDT
dave, Thanks. I'll try looking through the settings to see what I find.

I have a whole system of keyboard shortcuts that I use. I use alt-FX to go between desktops. Control-2 launcher the 'run a program' type app (depends on the WM), etc, etc....
zimon

Feb 24, 2004
12:22 PM EDT
Human Interface Guidelines (HIG) (and GNOME) already define pretty much what Alt+FX shortcuts (should) do. Alt+F1 gives Desktop_mainmenu, Alt+F2 is RunProgram-dialog, Alt+F4 close the focused window, ...and so on.

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/userinput.ht...

In Galeon Alt+1,2,3,4,5... are shortcuts to TABs, but in Firefox they are Ctrl+1,2,3,4,5... Which way is the de facto standard way, or is neither? If we ever want to have Linux spread to normal homes and officies, those kind of guidelines should be strictly followed. Customization then after when user is an expert is another thing.
mojavelinux

Feb 24, 2004
10:09 PM EDT
I actually like how konqueror handles this best. CTRL-left and CTRL-right step you left and right between tabs. It is rare (I think) that you actually count the number of the tab you want to jump to, and what if you have more than 10 tabs open? Of course, then you would still want "last tab" sort of like "last channel" on your TV remote to toggle between two tabs regardless of position.

Browser shortcuts should really be standardized more, but still allow for customization.
greensky

Feb 25, 2004
8:09 AM EDT
"It is rare (I think) that you actually count the number of the tab you want to jump to, and what if you have more than 10 tabs open?"

Well it's really easy to just look and be able to count from 1 to at least 6 or 7. I really don't like to have to tab between all of my tabs to get from one to another. I'll just stick with Galeon for now.
mojavelinux

Feb 25, 2004
10:32 AM EDT
I think there is an awesome plugin for firefox which allows you to scroll through you tabs when you use your scroll wheel with the mouse depressed. Might not be your solution, but worth checking out. It all depends on if you hand is on your mouse. If you are using mouse gestures, it probably is. It wouldn't work for my laptop since touchpads suck.
zimon

Feb 25, 2004
12:42 PM EDT
It would be nice, if the TABs 1-10 would (optionally) show those numbers, shortcuts, which you can choose by Ctrl-(­number) in Firefox, or Alt-(number) in Galeon. I'd would willingly sacrifice the space of two letters in the TAB's title for that. When there is 10 TABs visible in one window, I at least cannot see straight which Ctrl+(number) to choose to get some wanted TAB.

An example: 1 [/. ] Slashdot | 2 [G] Google | 3 [X] LXer: Alt-X to switch... | 4 [(|)] Other site | (more TABs) (where [/.], [X], [G], [(|)] are those little icons)

Except I'd like to get rid of those dots "..." too in long truncated titles, useless.

Somehow Galeon, although it is older, or because it is older, has more matured and more practical TAB-interface than Firefox. Mozilla developers should had spent abit more time "reverse engineering" Galeon during the development. The Alt-I, or Alt-a + Alt-T, the list of the TABs, is something which Galeon could have also though.
greensky

Feb 25, 2004
12:51 PM EDT
I really don't think numbers are needed. It should be possible for most people to be able to count to at least 5 or 6 by just looking at the tabs. That's something that's built in to us biologically (even dogs can do that).

If you have more than 5 or 6 tabs you would have a harder time just lookig though. I usually have to galeon windows (one on desktop 1 and one on desktop 2) each with about 5-6 tabs.

Firefox does have some tab extensions that work fairly well. You might try them out if you are using firefox. They don't let you use alt-x though to change tabs.
zimon

Feb 25, 2004
2:20 PM EDT
Yes I have Tabbrowser, minitT and Tabbrowser sessions extensions installed.

One thing made me wonder when installing those extensions. None of them were signed and although I installed Firefox from GPG signed rpm-package, those extensions then could had been any trojan code and no way to trace their origin back. (oh well, its not v 1.0 yet, so it is understandable)

Those numbers in the titles of the TABs could be optional. I have set width of TABs fixed 100 pixels wide, so my 1024x768 maximized window has 10 TABs visible. I've also read, 7 is the number of items one should "know" and identify without counting. Maybe, but at least with those 10 TABs I don't find without counting which Ctrl-(number) shortcut to press, and would turn that kind of feature on if there would be a checkbox for it in the options.

Some more notices about TABbed browsing in Firefox:

Firefox seems to make some extra unnecessary work when capturing pop-up windows to TABs. With Galeon those open as TABs immediately, but Firefox at first seems to open them as normal windows, and then after grabs them and converts them to TABs.

Pop-up windows does not seem to inhertit same TAB-group as the origin TAB. But those links which trigger pop-ups when opened by middle mouse click do inherit the same TAB-group. Abit confusing. (I am using the auto-coloring of TAB-groups option in Tabbrowser extension.)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!