garbage

Story: Open source security "not good enough"Total Replies: 2
Author Content
mojavelinux

Mar 19, 2004
6:59 AM EDT
This is garbage...I think what we are seeing here is reaction to comments made by people that don't know what they are talking about.

The main choice for Linux does NOT rely on the fact that "viruses aren't written for Linux because it is not as popular as Windows." I get red in the face when people use this argument. Linux is a secure operating system where a regular user has write access to only one directory, /home/username. Viruses won't kill a system, only the moron's home directory that ran them. Additionally, the default in Linux is to not automatically execute anything...scripts require special permissions to be set before running them. New files created are shielded by the user's umask setting, which ensures that no file will be given automatic execution priviledges. Finally, Linux distros audit programs so that a base system has tools which work together in concert to ensure security.

It is absolute BS that Linux is more subject to security problems than Windows, or even close.
dave

Mar 19, 2004
7:23 AM EDT
You can tell that some people absolutely don't get it (and they just repeat the same party line) and some do.

Hinesh Jethwani of CXOToday obviously DOES get it, as is evidenced by this story that I just now posted: http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/7860/index.html

Hinesh should be complimented and encouraged (via email) and Rodney of ComputerWorld and published by Linux World (!) should be gently rebuked (via email).

best, dave
mojavelinux

Mar 21, 2004
1:09 PM EDT
Indeed, the article you reference in your comment does introduce the most important argument of all when it comes to antivirus solutions on Linux. Linux is an operating system amongst operating systems and even if it need not protect itself with software programs, it can certainly help prevent propogation of viruses to other servers that are indeed prone to them, such as MS Windows based servers.

The reason we are seeing spam and widespread virus outbreaks is because email, the once innocent and pure service in the computer world, was built on a system of trust. Unfortunately this trust has vanquished and we are left wide open to attacks based on this technology.

My message is simple, and I have posted it on several blogs and forums already. DON'T GET COCKY ABOUT SECURITY! The Linux/Unix model is very secure at its base, but anything can be made to be tricked. Whenever you perform operations on your computer, be sure to consider security just as you would look both ways before crossing a street; check RPM signatures, validate URLs, make use of GnuPG and MD5Sum; distrust first, trust second.

I think the lesson of security is so crucial it should be taught in the school systems. Is there someone out there that would like to disagree? Or am I on to something?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!