Gentoo and the time

Story: Dispelling the myths of Gentoo Linux, an honest reviewTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
gullevek

Mar 22, 2004
10:31 PM EDT
Well, I was also very "wow cool" Gentoo. Yes, I learned some things from it. Most thing how to pass by all this installers and do it by hand (helps me a lot now when I install debian from Knoppix). But the only negative thing with Gentoo I have, is that in the long term run there are small problems popping up. eg, last time mplayer refused to work because some sub libraries changed and mplayer was compield to some lib.so.2.0.0-a.1. The other thing is, even thought I have a Pentium 4 1.6Ghz and 1GB RAM, compiling takes an awful long time. And in my opinion its not worth it (except *). At home I, where I have an even slower PC, I switched to Debian, and the only thing I compile is the kernel.

*) When you want to install GNU/Linux on an Architekture not manly supported, eg Opterion. Then you almost can't ship around Gentoo at the moment.

So Gentoo is two sided medal. It has its good points in the USE flags (thought they could be a bit better) and the possibility to compile for different architectures, and its downside in compile time and no speed gain at all and the fact that there are on and off some problems.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!