Pleasantly surprising way to install Debian

Story: Pleasantly Surprised with Knoppix LinuxTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
chappaquachap

May 12, 2004
12:29 PM EDT
Knoppix is a programming tour de force, which has as its core feature a remarkable hardware detection engine. A particularly pleasant application is Debian installation. See

Debian GNU/Linux Installation with Knoppix and debootstrap

http://www.inittab.de/manuals/debootstrap.html

The key idea is to realize that Knoppix figures out the key configuration information. For example, it creates the Xconfig file you can use when installing Debian; you don't have to figure it out for yourself.
dave

May 12, 2004
12:32 PM EDT
Thanks for the link, chappaquachap. After you mentioned that howto on the phone the other day, I have on my TODO to go searching it out, and your posting is saves me from searching for it. Thanks. :)

dave
bubar

May 13, 2004
6:25 AM EDT
Again thanks chappaquachap that looks like a big help. I would like to install debian using knoppix but I don't want all those knoppix specific packages installed. This looks like it will do the trick. BTW some of those knoppix specific packages are so deeply embedded in the system that you are in danger of crippling your whole system by removing them. It has to do with init. yeah. Thank you debootstrap for rescuing me from knoppix.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!