Spacial or Traditional, which do you prefer?

Story: Opinion: Why Users Blame the Spatial NautiliusTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
Void_Main

Jun 13, 2004
3:03 PM EDT
I don't even know why I am commenting on this as I don't even use a file manager but for the few times I do use it I like the traditional. Back when I used to use Windows a little more I remember when they came out with something similar as the default. Ever since then every time I use an M$ machine the first thing I do is completely reverse *all* the defaults on folder views.

I want to see all attributes and extensions, I don't want to see big pictures instead of a nice compact list of files, I don't want anything "hidden" from me, I don't want a new window popping up every time I click on a new directory (and they ARE *directories* not folders dangit!). Fortunately you can get Nautilus back to the default behavior:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1088

Void

A GUI is only good for hanging several bash prompts on if you ask me. :) This message was edited Jun 13, 2004 6:18 PM
Koriel

Jun 14, 2004
2:50 AM EDT
I use a combination of spatial and the more traditional drill down the directory tree methods, I think it all comes down to just how deep your directory structure is.

But the articles author is completely wrong when he says a deep directory structure is wrong, it all depends on what your doing with it. Saying that i never use Gnome and never will when they try impose strictures on me on how i do things, damn its one of the biggest reasons i use linux, MS tried imposing things on me and i ditched them.

This will hurt Gnome which is sad as KDE needs a competitor to keep them on their toes.

Disclaimer: I am a KDE user but will switch at a drop of a hat if something better came along.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!