i have win98 and bochs in it and i want to run Linux onwin98

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
srinivasan

Jun 22, 2004
6:25 PM EDT
i am having win98 operating-system in my celeron machine and using bochs i want to run Linux (fedora core 1) with win98 as an host system and Linux as a guest system.but i had used red hat and win98 on a dual botting system, over the three years stunt with Linux in my home . but got fed up to restart the system every time to change from one operating-system to anther . i came across bochs (the virtual pc emulation software) and i want run linux(guest operating-system) on my win98 (host operaimg-system) using bochs .but i failed a number of times and searched the net for a solution and i found that they had solution for running win98 over linux operating-system and with win98 as guest operating-system and linux as host till writing this thread i can not find a solution to my problem.
Void_Main

Jun 22, 2004
7:04 PM EDT
You do realize that trying to run that Linux stuff under Windows 98 (tm) will break your end user license agreement and void your Windows (tm) warranty? Not only that but you know you'll have to write out a royalty check and send it to Bill if you are going to install it on your FAT file system right? Just making sure you are aware of the risks involved before you embark on such a dangerous quest. This message was edited Jun 22, 2004 10:06 PM
dave

Jun 22, 2004
7:14 PM EDT
C'mon, Void. That wasn't nice. The guy wants to get involved with Linux, so shouldn't we help him out, instead of scare him off like that?

dave
Void_Main

Jun 22, 2004
7:48 PM EDT
I was actually trying to be humorous by tying some recent articles from this site in but apparently I failed. :) This message was edited Jun 22, 2004 10:51 PM
dave

Jun 22, 2004
7:58 PM EDT
I saw the humour, but I wonder if our new friend did. :)

dave
Void_Main

Jun 22, 2004
8:13 PM EDT
Ok, then to get serious about this I guess it would be nice to know why you would like to run Linux under Windows 98, is there something specific that you need to run? Could you get by with Cygwin? Are you looking for specific help with Bochs?

I used to run Win98/NT/2k/Solaris/Linux as guests under VMware on a Linux host but VMware is fairly expensive and you really need quite a healthy system. I'm also fairly certain you can't run VMware on a Win98 host. I'm betting Bochs probably doesn't run on a Win98 host for similar reasons (I don't think Win98 is smart enough). Of course I have been Windows free for a few years now and haven't really had the need to fire up VMware.

Sorry about the poor humor attempt earlier. :) This message was edited Jun 22, 2004 11:20 PM
r_a_trip

Jul 28, 2004
11:43 PM EDT
Srinivasan, I can see your problem. It's pretty daunting to leave the comfort of Windows wholesale in the beginning and dual booting is a drag.

You mentioned Bochs as a virtual machine running on Win98 as host and Fedora Core as guest. I can't advise you to use this setup. It'll work, but Bochs is a complete PC emulator and as such it is very slow. I assume you would want to get some work done ;).

VMWare as mentioned by Void_Main is a nice solution, but it's expensive and it doesn't run on Win98. I'm assuming that you have no desire to purchase Windows XP nor VMware, as cost would be exorbitant.

I would advise you to check out Qemu. It's a new emulator that uses advanced dynamic translation techniques and is fairly fast with running OSes in emulation. The documentation is pretty good. Currently they are at version 0.6.0, but its already very stable and usable.

The main project site is mostly geared towards running Qemu on Unix, but it contains useful documentation, the sources and links to other projects including the link to the Windows port.

Main site : http://www.qemu.org

Windows port : http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/

OS images : http://www.freeoszoo.org

The only drawback of Qemu under Windows (and Unix) is that you have to have some skills with working in a command line. Other than that, its a very capable and usable package.

I'm happily running Windows XP on top of SUSE Linux Pro 9.1. I have done it the other way around on a pc of a friend of mine, he's very happy to have SUSE Linux Pro 9.1 on top of Windows XP.
kocherin

Dec 02, 2004
3:04 AM EDT
If you want install both Linux and Win .... , at first install Win ... and after Linux . No problemm .
cjcox

Dec 02, 2004
10:39 AM EDT
I'm going to say no. Not saying it's impossible, but probably so impracticle that you'll never use it even if it does somewhat work.

Strike 1. Win98 Strike 2. Bochs Strike 3. Celeron

That's 3 strikes folks.

By all means.. if it works, please post.. especially if you think it works well enough to do something with it.

Personally, I'd either dual-boot or run a live cd....

krisum

Dec 03, 2004
2:18 AM EDT
How about colinux http://www.colinux.org (i have never used it though) and of course win4lin
r_a_trip

Dec 20, 2004
4:01 AM EDT
Colinux needs a Windows NT style system to function. As the main OS is Windows 98, this will not work unfortunately.
sabre307

Nov 08, 2005
6:48 PM EDT
I know I'm a bit late with this post, but for anyone who reads this, I for one recommend going the opposite way. If you use Win4Lin you can run windows 98 flawlessly on your linux box. Also, the latest version of Win4Lin will even run 2k and XP. I highly recommend it as a solution. It isn't free, but I think I paid $40 for it. Worth every penny in my opinion.
jimf

Nov 08, 2005
6:58 PM EDT
I got to agree, this is ass backward. It is much less work to just bite the bullet and set up a dual boot.
burdicda

Feb 05, 2006
3:36 AM EDT
That's like wearing roller skates in an ice rink.....

That's nuts.....

That's like those idiots at Vmware selling a windows version to run linux on top of

Or

Putting a boat with a big hole in it...inside of another boat with a bigger hole in it....

You cannot post until you login.