Default Media Player

Story: Real wants to be 'the' media player for LinuxTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
Void_Main

Jul 09, 2004
8:48 AM EDT
When they say "the default tool for playing video, music and streamed Internet files" I have to assume that they actually mean "the default tool for playing Real video, Real Audio music and streamed Internet files in the Real Audio/Video format". I must say that I have actually been using the Helix player for playing Real Audio/Video for a while now and I have to give them credit that it is a really nice player, but unless something has changed it only plays media in the Real format.

If they wanted a general purpose "default player" then they would be better off picking MPlayer or Xine as both of these can play nearly all formats as long as you have the codecs installed. Heck they can even play DVD and VCDs although I prefer Ogle for DVDs. I prefer to use MPlayer as first choice general purpose player and with the proper browser plugins it does a nice job of playing embedded streaming video. Helix also does a nice job of embedding itself into Mozilla.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!