CERT/Updates

Story: Open Letter to LXer.com readers from Tom Adelstein about JDShelp.orgTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Void_Main

Jul 12, 2004
9:29 AM EDT
# apt-get dist-upgrade or # up2date

Not that hard. No subscription required. Can be easily automated. Bashing JDS is bad but somehow bashing Red Hat is good?
tadelste

Jul 12, 2004
11:04 AM EDT
Sorry you got the impression I was bashing Red Hat. I didn't understand the Enterprise play they were making at the time and of course Fedora had not come along at that time.

The main thng is that JDS is an enterprise build and Red Hat also provides an enterprise build of a desktop: Older kernel and libs. Businesses can't depend on cutting edge Linux because they can't afford their systems to break. So, they go with older kernels.

I would use Red Hat's Enterprise Desktop. I also think they did me a favor ending the support for their Retail Product.

I just wanted to convey why I went looking.

I have a completely different view of things now.

JDS is an enterprise class product because the run time was built by SuSE just like SLES - which costs $598 and you can get JDS for $50.

Just want to pont out the difference between enterpriseware and Linux with the new kernel, libs, desktop, etc. SuSE sells a lot of SLES boxes in spite of the price. It's version 8. SuSE Pro - Version 9.1 is a great product. Just different.

I apologize I didn't make that clear. This message was edited Jul 12, 2004 2:05 PM
Void_Main

Jul 12, 2004
4:03 PM EDT
All I know is that I've been running Linux in the enterprise for many years now (over 10 years) and Sun wasn't there for me. I don't really appreciate them slapping a distro together and bashing all the people who helped make it possible and then thinking they can wave a magic wand and make everything better. This message was edited Jul 12, 2004 7:05 PM
tadelste

Jul 12, 2004
5:12 PM EDT
I can see you're angry but someone said we're never angry for the reason we think. I appreciate your commitment to GNU/Linux. But if you used NFS, then Sun was there for you. Also, their $25,000 Sparc 5 model 80's probably drove lots of developers to build Linux. But that was then and we can't do anything about it. The fact is that Sun is not the same company as the one who wasn't there for you. Also, I don't think they slapped together a distro. It took a lot of work. They didn't wave a magic wand over it. What they did was make a distro that has captured a big market share and brought over a lot of people who would be locked out of Linux for various reasons. So, what's going on NOW - in the present time - is that those users need support. Your attitude and anger means that maybe someone won't try Linux because you won't give up your position. When people blast away, that might get picked up in a search and someone says, "well I was going to try Linux and heard about JDS but then these Linux guys hate Sun and say that their distro was thrown together. So, I guess I'll stick with this XP virus magnet." See, if Matthew Szulik doesn't want a desktop and says Windows is better that also doesn't serve users. So you and people who continue this angry stuff over some notion that may or may not be true, hinder others. All I would ask is for you to consider the consequences. It's ultimately each of our choices and we will choose. Even not chosing is a choice.

Void_Main

Jul 12, 2004
5:30 PM EDT
I'm not angry, although you're starting to get me there. :) Don't blame me for Sun making all the stupid public statements they have made. I would be more than happy to help people with a "Linux" distribution but since they named it "Java Desktop System" and buried the GPL 200 subdirectories deep I guess I can't be of much help. As far as NFS I'm not so sure there is anything to be thankful about there since I rarely used NFS on Linux and it can be a real pain on Solaris/AIX/HPUX and other OSs I use, but if you want to start going down this road where did SUSE (and JDS) get their package management system from? Yeah, thanks for nothin' Red Hat. I have helped many people over the years, but to be honest it really doesn't matter to me if people use it or not as long as they don't tell me I can't use it.

I would rather Sun just went ahead and put Solaris x86 under their Java and sold it as JDS. At least they wouldn't look so stupid when they bad mouth it in public. By the way, why didn't they just put Solaris x86 under it since Solaris is supposed to be so much better?

A slam search: [url=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=sun slams red hat]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=sun slams ...[/url]

I didn't make these statements. When does "NOW" start? Most of the statements you will find in the above search have been made less than a month ago. Heck, they even said they would go after SUSE. This message was edited Jul 13, 2004 1:03 AM

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!