I beg to differ

Story: Novell a model open source citizenTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
Void_Main

Jul 20, 2004
7:11 PM EDT
I wish Novell were "model" open source citizens but they can't seem to follow the license they chose. I have been trying for months to get the source for binary RPMS that they have placed under the GPL license and I just can't seem to make any headway:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1113

I have never seen Red Hat have such a problem in the 12 years they've been at it. The Novell web master has been returning my messages and stated that she would forward the email to the appropriate people. Apparently the "appropriate people" just don't care. Since they are actually the copyright holders of the software it is up to them and no-one else to enforce the license (I sent a message to GNU and they confirmed it).

I was so excited when Novell made the initial announcements and indeed it seemed life was good. I am since left scratching my head. Don't get me wrong. I really appreciate the opening of the software and it being placed under the GPL. I just wish they would not be so sloppy with the license. They should be setting the example. BTW, I still would like the source to the RPMs in question if anyone has any inside contacts.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!