Sorry but I don't think it does.

Story: Red Hat adopts Novell e-mail softwareTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Void_Main

Jul 22, 2004
5:16 PM EDT
The move illustrates the advantages and drawbacks of the open-source software in the business realm. On the one hand, it enables companies to cooperate, challenging common foes such as Microsoft or improving technology so the overall market grows faster. But on the other hand, it can make it harder for one company to maintain a competitive advantage over another.

I'm sorry but I don't think it "illustrates *any* drawback" of open source. It's a win-win in my book. Look how much software Novell's SUSE uses that Red Hat has contributed (starting with RPM). It was nice of Novell to purchase Ximian and then open up the Connector. It was a very nice contribution. Again, the money comes from the services part of the business. The better the software, more people will use the software, the more services that can be sold. I submit to you that by helping Red Hat and all the other vendors you are also helping yourself.

If you can get a big enough crack in the Microsoft dam eventually it's going to bust. Having the connector closed source wasn't helping anyone. They were going at 70 bucks a pop and I don't think they were selling too many. It's a simple case of you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. Now we both feel better. Now, if Novell would just release the source to *all* connector binaries they have released under the GPL it will be a win-win-win.

EDIT: My whining over the source appears to have paid off: http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1113

Thanks Novell! This message was edited Jul 22, 2004 9:08 PM
mojavelinux

Jul 23, 2004
5:57 AM EDT
I %#&@ing hate the media! They walk into something they haven't a clue about and incise people to start bickering. It is annoying, disruptive and unnecessary. The whole point of open-source is to share and if Red Hat wants to use Novell software, this is GREAT for everyone! Naturally Novell and Red Hat are competitors, but they are also partners and should be smart enough to help each other when it makes perfect sense. Microsoft never chooses the "sensible" thing to do and hopefully open-source can break that habit!
mojavelinux

Jul 23, 2004
5:59 AM EDT
p.s. Novell is giving me an extremely warm fuzzy...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!