Windows blade runner shares big Swedish stage with Linux

Posted by jenwren1010 on Jun 16, 2008 1:29 PM EDT
IT Pro; By Davey Winder
Mail this story
Print this story

One of the 50 most powerful computers ever built has been assembled by IBM, but thisis an HPC with a difference: it's a dual-booting device which runs Windows HPC Server 2008 as well as Linux.

In itself the system is sufficient enough of a powerhouse to lay claim to being one of the top 50 most powerful computers on the planet, which should be enough for any geek to get excited about. However, I suspect that the bit of the announcement that will get the most coverage will be that this one has been built around Linux and Windows rather than Linux alone. Heck, look at the statistics and it appears that around 85 percent of such HPC systems are running exclusively on Linux and Windows cannot even claim to scoop up the remaining 15 percent but instead sits somewhere around the 2 percent mark at the most (if you use the latest available Top 500 list as your metric anyway.)

Full Story

» Read more about: Story Type: News Story; Groups: IBM, Linux, LXer, Microsoft

« Return to the newswire homepage

This topic does not have any threads posted yet!

You cannot post until you login.