Quick Look: Xubuntu 10.10

Posted by jimlynch on Oct 20, 2010 6:10 AM EDT
Eye On Linux; By Jim Lynch
Mail this story
Print this story

A quick look at Xubuntu 10.10, including a full gallery of screenshots. Last week I reviewed Kubuntu 10.10 and Ubuntu 10.10 over on Desktop Linux Reviews. This week I wanted to look at Xubuntu 10.10. I decided to do a quick look rather than a full-blown DLR review because less has changed in Xubuntu than in the other two distro releases.

Last week I reviewed Kubuntu 10.10 and Ubuntu 10.10 over on Desktop Linux Reviews. This week I wanted to look at Xubuntu 10.10. I decided to do a quick look rather than a full-blown DLR review because less has changed in Xubuntu than in the other two distro releases.

If you aren’t familiar with Xubuntu, it’s essentially a combination of Ubuntu and the Xfce desktop environment. Xubuntu is designed to provide a lighter-weight desktop experience than GNOME (Ubuntu’s default desktop). Xfce is set up to conserve system resources while still providing a great range of desktop functionality. Xubuntu is a good to Ubuntu alternative for older hardware or underpowered hardware.

Full Story

Nav
» Read more about: Story Type: Reviews; Groups: Ubuntu, Xfce

« Return to the newswire homepage

Subject Topic Starter Replies Views Last Post
Sound and Ubuntu on a Toshiba satellite laptop Ridcully 9 1,333 Oct 21, 2010 7:17 PM

You cannot post until you login.