MS-Office schema not as open source friendly as Microsoft says it is

Posted by dcparris on Nov 8, 2005 11:10 AM EDT
ZDNet; By David Berlind
Mail this story
Print this story

When Alan Yates, Microsoft Information Worker Product Management Group business strategy general manager, first came to me to say that his company had been railroaded when Massachusetts voted the OpenDocument office file format (ODF) in, and Microsoft's Office XML Reference Schema (OXRS) out, one of his original arguments was that OXRS was getting a bad rap for not being implementable in open source software.

As Yates originally explained it to me, "Our license may not be compatible with the GPL, but it is compatible with many other open source licenses, and certainly can be used with the OpenDocument license." However, as it turns out, "many" is in the eyes of the beholder. When I went back to Yates and explained how I found that claim to be untrue, he clarified his original claim by saying "While it is beyond my capacity to analyze [all of the open source licenses listed on the Open Source Initiative's Web site], we think that there is no problem with the two most used, key alternatives to the GPL; the LGPL and the BSD licenses."

Full Story

Nav
» Read more about: Story Type: News Story; Groups: Microsoft

« Return to the newswire homepage

Subject Topic Starter Replies Views Last Post
Enough about ODF tadelste 0 980 Nov 8, 2005 11:36 AM

You cannot post until you login.