Manageability

Story: Manageability is a must for Linux to succeed on the enterprise desktopTotal Replies: 0
Author Content
Void_Main

Jul 31, 2004
8:58 AM EDT
Although there may be some valid points in this article I wish the author would have gone in to more detail on the sort of tools he had in mind, especially on the policy stuff. I assume he is referring to equivalents to SMS and Active Directory? I don't know if I would ever wish the likes of SMS or Active Directory on Linux but I would be interested in details on what he thinks is needed. Even though I am one who comes up with his own custom solutions because I find it very easy to do so with the vast capabilities that Linux comes with right out of the ISO (he mentions my type in the article), I would be interested in specific wishes that others might have in these areas.

I wouldn't mind making an attempt at attacking issue with either good documentation on how to provide solutions to the needs with existing capabilities or maybe go so far as starting a project to develop the solution that they are looking for. I would first need to get some very detailed wishes and requirements. Is there anyone else here who agrees with the article but can provide such detailed input? I don't know if I am biting off more than I can chew but I have a lot of large enterprise experience in both Linux and Windows (not so much on the most recent versions of Windows and Active directory though as I made a conscious decision a few years back to get back to Linux/UNIX as close to 100% as possible). Just an idea as I too would like to see my company get more open to Linux. They have been dealing directly with Ballmer so I don't know how easy that will be.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!