For those using adblock

Story: Munich Linux Migration Back On CourseTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
Glimmung

Aug 19, 2004
7:48 AM EDT
*.vibrantmedia.com*

This caught me out. I hate ads, but having scripts that produce a text ad as your mouse moves over a keyword in the story is quite offensive to me, it feels dirty in the same way pop-ups are a nasty distraction. Never seen this type before.
dave

Aug 19, 2004
9:28 AM EDT
I don't see what you're talking about. Maybe my browser lacks the features needed to see these ads.

dave
Glimmung

Aug 19, 2004
10:07 AM EDT
They have a javascript running, and certain words are made to look like hyperlinks. When you move your mouse cursor over them they are not links but bring up a little dialogue box full of text, that appears to be advertising. The first mention of the word migration is one of them. My browser at the moment is Firefox.
dave

Aug 19, 2004
10:13 AM EDT
this is wierd. I've tried it in Galeon, Firefox, Netscape 4 and Mozilla 1.6 and still none of the words appear as links. JS is enabled in all the browsers. Well, oh well.

dave
Void_Main

Aug 22, 2004
2:45 PM EDT
Hmmm, I don't see it in Mozilla either, even when viewing the source. I did already have some of the JS sites blocked though, and added vibrantmedia to my block list just in case. :)
Void_Main

Aug 24, 2004
6:15 AM EDT
I just read an excellent two part article on incidents.org that reminded me of this thread (even though they are likely not related at all):

Follow the Bouncing Malware - part I: http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?date=2004-07-23

Follow the Bouncing Malware - part II: http://www.incidents.org/diary.php?date=2004-08-23

Too bad it isn't about Linux, it would make a great read for this site. I suppose it is another fine example of why you would be better off with Linux.
Glimmung

Aug 26, 2004
7:09 AM EDT
Void - Excellent articles, I want to read part three - that is good stuff. More security reporting should be like this, it is actually interesting.

Well guess what the strange activity only seems to happen on my crippled system (M$ME), which I have to use at work (In-house apps).
Void_Main

Aug 26, 2004
7:34 AM EDT
Aha, so maybe you were caught up in the bouncing Malware? :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!