split keyboard

Story: Cherry Readies Linux Keyboard (PC World)Total Replies: 6
Author Content
mojavelinux

Aug 22, 2004
7:29 PM EDT
Here is my question. Is it that Microsoft has a patent on the split keyboard that no one else (save Logitech) makes one? I am sure there are plenty of you out there that don't understand why anyone would want a split keyboard, but we are all different. For me, I have tests showing I can type up to 25% faster and more accurate. Consider it the same as the difference in shoe preference.

It would be nice to see Cherry also offer a split keyboard...or at least someone that makes a halfway decent device other than M$.
mariuz

Aug 23, 2004
4:50 AM EDT
it doesn't need to be splited keyboard , is enough for the keys to be in the right angle like in A4-tech Anti-rsi keyboards They are way cheaper than ms ones :)
dave

Aug 23, 2004
5:10 AM EDT
You might also consider looking into changing from Qwerty to Dvorak. I made the switch and find it much more comfortable!

dave
Void_Main

Aug 23, 2004
8:35 AM EDT
Were you already proficient on the QWERTY when you made the switch? How long did it take you to train your fingers for the new key locations? I am an old dog and am curious if I could learn a new trick like switching to the Dvorak. Also, once you get used to the Dvorak I would think you would be fumbling trying to use a qwerty system again. You don't need a special keyboard for this do you? I assume you can just tell the system that you want to use the Dvorak layout? Of course you would have to change all the key caps to match...
dave

Aug 23, 2004
11:34 AM EDT
Were you already proficient on the QWERTY when you made the switch? I type 110 wpm in Qwerty. I'm still not that fast in Dvorak, but I'm hoping eventually I'll match (and surpass) my old speed. Several good Linux typing-tutors are available that ease that problem. How long did it take you to train your fingers for the new key locations? About 2 weeks. Also, once you get used to the Dvorak I would think you would be fumbling trying to use a qwerty system again. Not at all. Switching back and forth is like switching between Perl and PHP, no problem. You don't need a special keyboard for this do you? No, use xmodmap. I did that for a while, to try the layout out. When I decided I liked it and would stick with it, I purchased a "Dvorty" board from http://dvortyboards.com/ Their boards are great because they are hardwired, and they have a "Dvorak Lock". Press the Dvorak Lock and you're in Dvorak. Release the lock and you're back in Qwerty. So it's good when the wife wants to use my box.
Void_Main

Aug 23, 2004
12:11 PM EDT
I'm scary fast on QWERTY but I am afraid if I try to switch to DVORAK I will be ridiculed by friends and coworkers for being a hunt & pecker. I think I shall give it a shot though. It just might add to my geek status. :)
zjim

Aug 26, 2004
7:52 AM EDT
dave:

I use the split keyboard because I can type longer on it. Probably more because of how I lay my hands. When I use a standard/straight keyboard my hands just aren't comfortable. Any way, that may be where mojavelinux is coming from.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!