Why allow an unlimited changes to posted comments?

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Sep 17, 2004
12:17 PM EDT
Dave,

I find it disconcerting seeing entire messages that were pertinent to a large discussion thread removed. I can understand wanting to reword gaffs - I make a lot of them. However, are you giving some the freedom from responsibility for their statements? An individual may post a complete lie to incite unneeded rancor in an argument, only to remove evidence of his/her instigation.

Is that wise? Like slashdot you too will attract those bent on destruction not discussion. On the web the participants can be world wide and not necessarily honest or forthright about their interest or intentions. Some wishing to sow dissension could even be Texans waving the American flag. ;-)

dave

Sep 17, 2004
12:53 PM EDT
The edit abilities are there to correct mispellings, etc. However, at the same time, there are certain people who will abuse it by removing their entire post. That kind of childish activity reveals their character in front of everyone else, and ruins their reputation.

The only thing I can do is remove the feature, which I guess I am willing to do. Must think on it a bit more.

dave
Void_Main

Sep 17, 2004
8:42 PM EDT
I don't know if you are referring to my posts in one thread but I don't know of any others. It was the first thread I posted on here and from what I recall, all of the comments I had made were ravingly good comments toward this site and how thankful I was to find this oasis. I liked to comment on articles and I remember taking some pot shot at Microsoft or Sun (no swearing or anything really bad, nothing any worse than any other comment I've made over the last couple of months). At any rate, I noticed that those posts had been deleted some time later. In a form of protest I decided to erase my kind words in that first thread. I don't recall having a message deleted since that day (haven't really checked up on it) so forgive me if I am the childish one you are referring to.
dave

Sep 18, 2004
4:08 AM EDT
Void_Main, I wasn't referring to you in my post. Also, I have no memory of deleting a single post from LXer since I started this site.

dave
TxtEdMacs

Sep 19, 2004
6:37 AM EDT
From memory alone: The discussion involved Dave's questioning of whether it was proper for him to have posted a complaint on a another supposedly Linux centric web site about Microsoft advertisements (of questionable validity) it displayed. I had assumed the posts were originally complimentary, however, every single post from this poster seems to have been left with no content. Again from memory - at least four posts were in this condition. Moreover, I cannot remember the alias used.

I think it was on my first or second day on LXer site that I read this thread.
Void_Main

Sep 19, 2004
6:50 AM EDT
Very odd. It must have been a glitch that caused them to disappear. I do recall being very sure about it happening though. Hmmm, I hope I didn't act too hastily which I would never do. :) Oh well, that was way back on like day 2 for me and it never happened again. I thought maybe you might have had someone else on as a moderator and they might have deleted them. It certainly doesn't sound like the case and after taking back all those good comments I give them back. Hmmm, I guess I could edit those posts again from months ago and think of more good things to say and then maybe nobody will notice that they were ever deleted. :)
dave

Sep 20, 2004
4:25 AM EDT
Quoting:I thought maybe you might have had someone else on as a moderator and they might have deleted them.

I'm the only one with the ability to edit or delete and comments, so it wouldn't have been someone else. It is indeed possible I deleted a comment or a thread, and just forgot that I did it. If it was a worthless thread, or laced with profanity, way off topic, etc, I wouldn't hesitate to click the delete button, but I don't recall having done it.

You know what they say; the memory is the second thing to go. :)

dave
Void_Main

Sep 20, 2004
9:28 AM EDT
Yeah, I forgot what the first thing was! :)
dave

Sep 20, 2004
1:03 PM EDT
Exactly!
mvermeer

Nov 29, 2005
8:20 PM EDT
Dave, check tuxchick's Christmas gift feature article (Nov 25). Two threads mentioned on the newswire, one only found on clicking through. There must be a bug.
dinotrac

Nov 29, 2005
8:32 PM EDT
Martin --

I take exception to your implication.

I stand by the statements I made in my two earlier posts to this thread:

Things don't disappear and there is no bug!

tuxchick

Nov 29, 2005
8:33 PM EDT
mvermeer, one of the threads was deleted because it turned very nasty. I only saw the first post in the thread, then was gone for a day, so I don't know what happened, but since it has to be extreme to warrant deletion, it must have gotten pretty awful.
jimf

Nov 29, 2005
8:35 PM EDT
Dave,

Pleez don tak out the edit. Some of us realy ned it to ccorect actual errors.

Seriously, from what I've seen here the majority of posters are entirely honest with the function.
mvermeer

Nov 29, 2005
11:19 PM EDT
Dino: send me a link to them then, so I can read them too ;-)

tuxchick: if you are referring to the same thread, I think it was sad rather than nasty.

I still maintain that, whether intentional or accidental, leaving the system in an inconsistent state is bad. There should at least be a placeholder for the deletion, so nobody is tempted to submit bug reports.
dinotrac

Nov 30, 2005
4:18 AM EDT
Martin --

I agree with you..Either remove the pointers or have a "We deleted this thread because it was initiated by a nasty-assed pimple-faced loner with nothing better to do with his time" page.
tuxchick

Nov 30, 2005
5:28 AM EDT
dino- you forgot "who is mad because his mom finally kicked him out of her basement and made him find his own place to live."

;)
dinotrac

Nov 30, 2005
5:54 AM EDT
tuxchick --

Sorry. You're right, of course.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!