Brylcreem

Story: Reverse Migration: From Linux to WindowsTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
bstadil

Sep 27, 2004
10:45 AM EDT
These guys are the makers of Brylcreem. Nuff said. By the way its part of the MS' get the facts series and dates back to May of this your. Look at the MS site and enjoy the Shareware blurb http://www.microsoft.com/resources/casestudies/CaseStudy.asp...

By the way they "switched" because their ISP went broke and the New "stellar" provider has managed to acquire precisely one customer. The sleaze bags from You guessed it Combe.com Source: Netcraft
TxtEdMacs

Sep 27, 2004
11:06 AM EDT
Thanks, you saved me the time I would have wasted reading this article.
AnonymousCoward

Sep 27, 2004
4:47 PM EDT
I've had an interesting experience along these lines. Client had a website designed, and it turned out to have been done with VBScript, despite a request that it run on the Linux webservers favoured by client's ISP. Designer, when confronted, told client that it would take "days, and thousands of dollars" to convert it for Linux.

Took me literally ten minutes of BASH scripting to convert all but the mail-back page to PHP, and another 15 to do the mail page, which I improved while I was there.

Meanwhile, customer had a customer of their own at their Linux-based site who was only familiar with XP's built-in image manipulation program and complained about other features of the system which were not available at all on customer's other two MS-Windows-based sites, and ordered the systems switched to XP.

Despite having it patiently explained, customer still didn't believe that he would need 6 MS-Office licences, 6 Distiller licences, 6 PhotoShop licences and six virus scanner licences to cover the stuff which had already seen use within a couple of weeks of opening. He'll also need a new driver for each new device a customer plugs in. He's also going to get another rude shock when a couple of sites he wanted to change to MSIE for won't work under XP SP2.

This site is currently off air since we've removed Linux ASAP at his request, and likely to remain so for a couple of days until he gets XP installed all around, and he'll be out of pocket to the tune of about twice what he paid for the hardware, and I bet he gets the whole lot virussed into the ground within a month, possibly within hours.

Yet if you asked him about it, he'd say he'd made the switch for economic reasons.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!