ubuntu

Story: A review of Ubuntu - Warty release.Total Replies: 0
Author Content
salparadise

Oct 03, 2004
8:28 PM EDT
I've been using this distro for the last couple of weeks. It's the business! Gnome 2.8, Evolution 2, Firefox as default browser. Comes on 1 cd but has 1000's of apps online. "It's aimed especially at laptops but works as well on desktops" It's one of the fastest distro's I've used. I had to learn some fast lessons as to the difference between RPM based distros and deb based. Some of the sys admin type commands are different and it comes with sudo enabled and no Root account. One of the easiest setups I've encountered, and it picked up XP and Mandrake (present on the same system) and correctly added both to the Grub boot loader. It does not work with my Palm Zire of my digital camera (a couple of minuses - Mandrake operates both flawlessly) and my stupid tv card still doesn't work (with any distro).

Ubuntu - highly recommended. 9.5 out of 10. Great for newer users who don't want a complicated "choose every option" installer and as good for more experienced users.

A word of warning... If you like it and use it and join the users list, expect a LOT of emails. Around 100-200 a day. A small price to pay...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!