A bit late to the party, no?

Story: Unisys Joins Open Source Development LabsTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
AnonymousCoward

Oct 20, 2004
6:17 AM EDT
This http://web.archive.org/web/20040202013104/www.wehavethewayou...) is from January. They replaced the front page quite a few months ago, but less than a month ago the rest of the pages were still accessible (they’re all gone now).

And I quote, for purposes of study and research:

ESCAPE FROM UNIX: THE CASE FOR WINDOWS

Recent research and market trends indicate many enterprises are planning large-scale migrations away from the UNIX platform-primarily towards Microsoft® Windows®. Learn more about this movement from UNIX to Windows and the issue of increasing standardization in the data center.

MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2003: BUILT FOR TODAY'S CHALLENGES

Find out how a standardized, Windows-based environment helps increase staff efficiencies, delivers economies of scale and reduces TCO.

UNISYS: THE PROVEN PARTNER TO HELP YOU STANDARDIZE ON WINDOWS

Learn why Unisys is the only company with the expertise to fully optimize the benefits of Windows Server 2003 in a standardized, end-to-end data center.

THE ESCAPE RESOURCE CENTER

Read case studies, white papers and press releases documenting the advantages of the Unisys ES7000 family of servers and Microsoft Windows Server 2003.

UNISYS & MICROSOFT EVENTS SCHEDULE

Find out more about the upcoming Unisys and Microsoft Database Server Seminar Series and Consolidation Seminar Series.

I notice that they didn’t write “UNIX®” but did ® both MS and Win - so why haven’t The SCO Group sued them? (-:

So... are we going to see a WeHaveTheWayIn.com site, or are UniSys just going to pretend this all never happened?
phsolide

Oct 20, 2004
6:46 AM EDT
Look, Unisys is the result of a merger between Burroughs and Sperry Rand (or Univac or whatever the hell they called themselves in the early 90s). Have they got rectal-cranial inversion? Yes. Are they management-bribing liars? Yes. Are they Pawns of Bill? Yes. Nothing good can come of this. OSDL should watch out, and remember the problems that consortiums of the past had. Remember in particular the "ACE" consortium, formed by SGI, DEC and Mips to promote OSF (another consortium!) on the R3000 CPU. DEC basically bogged the whole thing down until it split at the seams. DEC, busy failing itself, threw temper tantrums, insisted on official adoption of crap like DCE and OSF until the Alpha CPU came out. Then, they abandonded ACE. It's time to say "We reserve the right to refuse serivce to anyone." And then refuse to consort with Pawns of Bill, paid shills and astroturfers.
bstadil

Oct 20, 2004
7:41 AM EDT
I agree these guys can't be trusted, but maybe it's better having them inside the tent pissing out that reverse. That said they are close to irrelevant now much different from the DEC story of yore quoted by AnonymousCoward.

On a side note note. When they merged years ago they launched the slogan "The Power of Two" Their share price took a beating and I remember a financial magazine having a headline "The Power of 1 7/8'th"
AnonymousCoward

Oct 20, 2004
4:31 PM EDT
Yo bstadil; I didn't quote the DEC senario, phsolide did. I quoted my text straight off the WayBack mirror of UniSys' WeHaveTheWayOut site.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!