The article reads more like a marketing script

Story: Sun pits Solaris 10 against Red Hat LinuxTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Oct 24, 2004
2:01 PM EDT
There are many assertions, which may be true: e.g. faster with Solaris - I would hope so on a Sun designed unit with their OS optimized on installation! Cheaper, not too hard if its OS is a loss leader and part of the charge is in the hardware.

What bothers me too, is that I heard where Sun OS and Sparc hardware was replaced with x86 and RHEL 2 the performance of Sybase was better on the latter.

The tone comes a bit too close to the "Get the Facts ..." marketing employed by another very large entity that has low credibiility, at least to my eyes. This is not to bash Sun too much, they may be honestly presenting factual results, however, I will await an independent third party to confirm such results with a fairly broad test set.
mariuz

Oct 25, 2004
12:37 AM EDT
They should stick to anti - windows campaign , I wonder if you install Debian (http://www.Userlinux.com) on the Newsys ..err ... Sun Opteron machine the cost of the OS is under 100$

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!