humbug

Story: Linux found under the treeTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
gstrock

Dec 28, 2004
8:12 PM EDT
we all know that everyone wipes a pre-installed linux and replaces it with a pirated version of windows. :-)

- greg strockbine
PaulFerris

Dec 28, 2004
11:44 PM EDT
Yeah, what irony, that's another piece of great dis-information placed by the brilliant marketers at Microsoft.

How many of us have had to toss legitimate copies of Windows because we (or our company purchasing agent) couldn't avoid it when the hardware was purchased?

Just off the top of my head, in the past 3 years, it's for me, personally, 6. 3 IBM thinkpads, 2 rack-mounted servers, and a workstation.

They're all still running Linux.

Don't just lie -- add insult to injury. It helps people feel sympathetic for your company's 10s of billions of dollars of ill-gotten gain.

--FeriCyde
phsolide

Dec 30, 2004
7:33 AM EDT
I've had used Sun SPARCs for years at home - the WalMart offer of PCs without an operating system lured me over to the dark side of commodity PC hardware a few years ago. Really. I just didn't want to pay the "Windows Tax". It was hard enough buying a Gateway for my wife, knowing full well she'd use Windows98 on it, and then having the irritating experience of having to maintain that hopeless pile of steaming excrement.
PaulFerris

Dec 30, 2004
9:02 AM EDT
phsolide, Just tell her to open all of the attachments that she gets on an hourly basis. Within a few hours, she'll have to reload windows. Then take the painstaking time of showing her how to reload windows. After a few "training sessions" that will be inevitable, she'll be ready to toss whatever application is keeping her on Windows 98 into the trash, and switch to Linux. The great thing abou this is that after a few infuriating Windows loading experiences, a [insert your favorite distribution here] install will seem like a walk in the park.

--FeriCyde

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!