Is there a reason to try FC 3?

Story: Adding and Removing Programs in FedoraTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
devnet

Dec 31, 2004
11:38 AM EDT
I used to use FC 1 as an alternative to Red Hat (being a RH desktop user since 7.2) but decided against it after finding MEPIS. It wasn't that FC was bad...just that MEPIS was better.

Does anyone know the major changes between FC 1 through 3 (other than the obvious kernel updates, etc.)? I've read the changelogs but want to know from some that have used it for a while what the major improvements are. Not only that, but what advantages does it have over MEPIS? Just curious because I'd really like to give it a go...but am held back by the fantastic job SimplyMEPIS 2004.06 has done. Can anyone provide some testimony?
sbergman27

Dec 31, 2004
12:20 PM EDT
Devnet,

I would suggest that you give FC3 a try. It is my distro of choice. No one can really answer the "which distro should I use?" question for anyone else.

(Yes, I know you qualified it as a FC1 vs FC3 question, but they *are* different distros.)

That said, I have not (yet) taken my own advice in this instance, since I have been meaning to try out MEPIS. It's doing quite well at "distrowatch" and seems like a distro that *might* suit my needs and tastes. (No Debian-based distro that I have tried ever really has.) I like FC3 because it is very "cutting edge". But cutting edges *can* make you bleed. It is stable enough that someone who is adept with Linux can make quite a nice server *or* desktop out of it.

People are using the term "polished" with respect to it, and perhaps they have had a different experience with it than I. But it is like any other Linux distro in that once it is fixed it *stays* fixed.

Live Long and Prosper, Steve Bergman

devnet

Jan 01, 2005
8:06 PM EDT
Sbergman,

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a whirl sometime in the next 2 days. You'll absolutely love MEPIS. If you have a laptop you can spare...give it a try there. MEPIS really shines over even knoppix in hardware detection. I truly think it is one of the best out there. Thanks again!

Regards,

Devnet
devnet

Jan 03, 2005
9:26 AM EDT
Gave this a try last night. Fantastic install and fantastic organization. I'm including this on a list of 5 distros that I will hot swap in and out of my main Linux system (depending on what mood I'm in :P). VAST improvements over FC1. I went ahead and snapped in a new kernel from source just to see what would happen...it played very nice. This is a very solid distro. It fell short on only a few places...mainly, sound, browser plugins, and command line updating...but overall, it is a great distro. Lots of eye candy is what I think attracts so many users to this distro...it is very visually pleasing from the install onward. Anyways, just my immediate take on it...I'll have to keep experimenting with it over the next week.

Regards,

Devnet
PaulFerris

Jan 03, 2005
6:17 PM EDT
I'm loving it. I've got to give the new graphical installer a try, despite my command-line bend.

--FeriCyde

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!