SOF....

Story: The TCO of Open SourceTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
kcarr

Jan 06, 2005
11:48 AM EDT
Same 'ol FUD.

I love this comment:

"Gardner says open source's cost booby trap is related to the piecemeal design of open-source applications -- compared with the integrated software offered by proprietary platforms."
dinotrac

Jan 06, 2005
11:53 AM EDT
Yup. Only in America.

Here's the fun part: "piecemeal" -- ie, developed by different people/organizations -- is called competition and the free market in other contexts.

Here's to piecemeal! It doesn't matter if GM talks to Ford or Nissan when building its cars, so long as they all know how to go down the road.
peragrin

Jan 06, 2005
12:39 PM EDT
I don't bother reading Newsfactor very often anymore. it's just bullsh!t.

Let me guess. They conviently left 2002-2004 virus attacks out of the study, and the costs it takes to clean them up?
PaulFerris

Jan 06, 2005
12:52 PM EDT
What do you mean! It's great to only buy from one supplier -- helps make things simple -- only one person to talk to when things break! I mean, that's a no-brainer :)

Of course, that's if you can get through on the 1-900 line that they've setup for support...

--FeriCyde
r_a_trip

Jan 06, 2005
7:19 PM EDT
Always the same. Always trying to confuse the "free as in beer" with the "Free as in Freedom".

It is a good thing that businesses with competant management and IT professionals pierce through this crap and see the benefits of Freedom. All the others may perish as is the custom with inept businesses.
PaulFerris

Jan 07, 2005
2:20 AM EDT
r_a_trip: Don't count on it -- it's better than it was say, 5 years ago when I'd be confronted by this kind of drivel by managment that should know better. At least today there will 10 times the voices in the other direction.

The main thing here, though, on our side, is the truth. Too many companies saving a ton by using Free Software and talking about it.

Still, stuff like this deserves some kind of parody, IMHO... :)

--FeriCyde

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!