Vendor lock in and open source

Story: A Way to Hammer at WindowsTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
PaulFerris

Jan 13, 2005
7:05 AM EDT
The whole open systems versus Microsoft thing in the press is sad. The truth is that there are people that implement cost-effective solutions using both Microsoft and Free Software. Microsoft isn't going to make those solutions non-cost-effective anytime soon, and the Free Software types aren't going to get their tools into the hands of people that don't have a good reason to switch.

I love articles like this, they play to the simple-minded reader who thinks there's a war going on.

Well, there is, actually, but it's one-sided. Microsoft can attempt to "protect" all of their so-called intellectual property (remember their outrage when they were sued by Lotus over the use of the slash key? Gee, they sure have turned a corner). They can fight all they want. More, I hope -- the thrashing is somewhat entertaining.

But they're gonna "lose" the enterprise-class heavy lifting as long as they continually think that this whole idea of "Windows-only" is ever going to be a cost-effective enterprise solution.

Far more their style will be the home market -- the consumer stuff. Yeah, I know they're facing stiff competition there, but the type of interface more suits the type of thinking that defines what Microsoft is all about.

IBM has been, is now, and will well into the future, understand how to run large-scale operations with real solutions and consulting might. The whole OSS/Free Software thing helps them do this more cost effectively. The fact that they are willing to share some patent stuff makes total sense to me in this context.

--FeriCyde
peragrin

Jan 13, 2005
12:34 PM EDT
The other major disadvantage to a Windows only shop. a Monoculture is very bad for business. Even with firewalls, and lot's of network protection. It's a simple fact that Windows machines are routinely comprised and if a vendor brings an infected machine into your company, hooks it up to the network, it's very possible and all to easy to spread a virus across your network in minutes. If you have a large company shutting down for a day or two to clean it up isn't an option.

Windows here, Linux there, OS X over there. That way if one system goes down you have reserves to protect yourself.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!