xterm

Story: Some Linux apps are small wondersTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
mvermeer

Jan 29, 2005
2:18 AM EDT
I've taken a liking to the classical (Dickey) xterm. gnome-terminal is good, but it's big... and it has this bug when you're trying to scroll up. One line at a time, repainting the whole screen every time. Xterm is snappy by comparison. I found that it's easy to configure xterm to use anti-aliased, scalable fonts. Just use the faceName/faceType resouces. lucidasanstypewriter-14 works great. With the newest xterm, version 192, even font scaling, with control and the right mouse button, works too. And you can even install this rpm under the older FC2.

Only terms-in-tabs are missing.
PaulFerris

Jan 29, 2005
4:24 AM EDT
rxvt isn't too bad either...

When I'm stuck in dll hell, I've found recently that using XFce, rxvt and some custom programming make life extremely livable.

KDE works under Cygwin, but one of the effects of all of that thick OO programming is the slowing of my already gummed-up laptop (currently with a gig of ram so I can run vmware).

xterms and rxvt's snap right onto the screen in comparison. It's like you're almost on a unix box, except for the window around your window.

Full screen vmware sessions are almost good enough too, except that my laptop goes into power consumption overdrive and If I turned the darn thing over I could grill waffles on it.

--FeriCyde
dave

Jan 29, 2005
6:17 AM EDT
Martin,

I have the same issue with gnome-terminal. It is particularly painful when using mutt and scrolling up your email - it's just too slow.

I'm now using xterms, as well, and I have tabs!! Using fluxbox for my windowmanager, it has built in tabs support. Every application is tabable.

Also, I can use Super (Windows key)-Tab to cycle between the tabs of the window that has the focus. It's great!!

Dave
mvermeer

Feb 07, 2005
2:48 AM EDT
About "small" apps -- who else is using xfig? It looks and feels so old-fashioned, a bit like driving a T-Ford, but for what _I_ am doing, it beats the pants off the competition... which isn't bad either (inkscape, skencil anyone?). Even though the UI can be a pain, precise as it is.

xfig is the only vector graphics application that allows LaTeX embedding in an integrated way, comfortably. And it has a legible, documented text file format. I have tried other vector graphic editors, but come back to this one. Like, last week when I needed to construct an HTML image map on a group photo from a meeting.

Unfortunately on FC2/3 it has this annoying bug of entering the digits the wrong way around when writing into a "spinner" box. In fact it is an Xaw bug, and can be worked around by dynamically linking to Xaw3d instead... easily done on-the-fly by placing a symlink to the Xaw3d lib in a directory and then making LD_LIBRARY_PATH point to it. It even looks better :-)

- Martin
PaulFerris

Feb 07, 2005
3:21 AM EDT
martin -- gimp has a plugin to make an image map from an image -- did you ever try it (I don't use them so I have no idea how good it is).
mvermeer

Feb 07, 2005
8:25 AM EDT
Paul: yes I know. The funny thing is, I was shopping around for a separate Linux image map application for many hours (they even sell those for money!) before finding this out (and about xfig). The general looking for his horse while sitting on it, and all that.

I did try the Gimp plug-in, and yes it works. Only, like xfig, it forces you to enter an HREF, which for _this_ occasion I wasn't interested in. And it makes an ALT tag obligatory, which is understandable in general (accessibility) but what I wanted/needed was the TITLE tag, which is not provided. Xfig has similar behaviour.

Look at the group picture on

http://www.nkg.fi/current/Bornholm2004.html

to see what I did.

- Martin

PaulFerris

Feb 07, 2005
10:14 AM EDT
Very cool! Does fig do it exactly as you wanted? If not you could use what the gimp gives you and some awk code to clean it up (if you ever need to do something like this again).

Regardless, that's a neat way to point out names -- I've got to get into using mapping more, it's too nifty...

--Fericyde
Koriel

Feb 08, 2005
4:43 AM EDT
I like fiddling around with rxvt, will i have my scrollbars on the left or the right today?

Sounds pretty sad and it is :)
PaulFerris

Feb 08, 2005
5:05 AM EDT
Koriel, sometimes the most boring things are the most important things....

http://voidville.com/desktop.png

Here's a shot of my boring desktop (XFce and Rxvts) -- oh, and this is Cygwin's X server running on top of XP.
mvermeer

Feb 10, 2005
11:54 AM EDT
Paul -- no, xfig does it in about the same way as Gimp. You get a file, but have to do a post-cleanup before inserting it anywhere. What I got had the obligatory href= tag, which in vim I simply replaced with s/href/title/. (In other words, these aren't _clickable_ image maps :-)

- Martin
mvermeer

Feb 10, 2005
12:13 PM EDT
About some more, not necessarily _small_ apps, but little gems that are not widely known: - unison, for bidirectional file synchronisation

- ssh port forwarding, to get into places no firewall wants you to go

- pstoedit, a ps/eps to xfig format converter

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!