Sun /Bill of rights in the same sentence ??

Story: Sun preparing open source developers' bill of rightsTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
peragrin

Feb 04, 2005
2:59 PM EDT
Right after Sun told GPL developers that they aren't an important enough part of the OSS community when it comes to Sun's patents.

I think Sun needs to either let go, or keep things closed. Most won't care either way, but Sun needs to choose. You can't have it both ways. You can't care only about those who follow your license while thumbing your nose at the others.
PaulFerris

Feb 04, 2005
3:47 PM EDT
paragrin: Maybe they're couting on existing BSD developers joining their cause (chortle).

(PS: You have to know how many BSD people Sun pissed off in the early to mid 90's to get this joke)
peragrin

Feb 04, 2005
5:42 PM EDT
No I don't need to know how many BSD developers Sun pissed on. Why because BSD is dying, silly :-)

I only hope Sun changes it's mind before they become SCO II.

PaulFerris

Feb 04, 2005
10:29 PM EDT
There's a BSD/System V holy war that's an undercurrent to the BSD/Linux holy war. The BSD people (and they're are fewer and fewer of these people, btw) of the prior war remember ATT (the makers of System V) as putrid pond scum that came and stole the work that was contributed by Berkley -- more or less starting (inadvertently) the licensing wars. It's funny in a sad kind of way, because you'd be hard pressed to find someone who can really tell the difference from the outside of the OS -- you have to really dig down deep to find anything substantial. Even then it was semantics mostly.

I remember the good old days of pre 1.0 Linux, when during the creation of a kernel (before make xconfig or make menuconfig -- the horror) you got to a certain point in the network stack and one of the variables for choosing (from memory here) a TCP/IP kernel related behavior was named something like "I_AM_A_BROKEN_BSD_WEENIE".

Ahh the good old days.
tuxchick

Feb 05, 2005
8:57 AM EDT
Oh come on Sun. A "bill of rights" is not a software license, it's hand-waving. Sheeesh, they think F/OSS developers are stupid.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!